61 Nations Require Labeling of Genetically Engineered Foods…but not U.S.
Informing consumers about foods containing genetically engineered (GE) ingredients is common throughout the world. But for 20 years, the United States has resisted calls from advocates for mandatory GE food-labeling laws because the Food and Drug Administration determined that such modified foods weren’t “materially” different from other foods. Now, those same advocates for labeling are hoping California will spearhead a new movement.
In November, California voters will decide on Proposition 37, which would require producers to reveal GE products sold in stores.
The Center for Food Safety (CFS), an advocacy group in favor of the initiative, recently published an interactive map that demonstrates the widespread acceptance of such laws. More than 60 nations, including members of the European Union, Russia, China, Brazil, Australia, Turkey, and South Africa, have adopted mandatory GE food-labeling statutes.
“As the spread of commercialized GE food products mount, the number of people exposed to GE foods globally has grown. This makes truth in labeling of GE food ingredients increasingly fundamental to preserving consumer choice and protecting personal health,” according to the CFS.
To Learn More:
Center for Food Safety Releases New Genetically Engineered Food Labeling Laws Map (Center for Food Safety)
Why California Needs Prop 37: Center for Food Safety’s Position on the Food Labeling Initiative (Center for Food Safety)
Monsanto and DuPont Spend Big to Fight Labeling Genetically Modified Foods (by Ken Broder, AllGov California)
FDA Says Consumers Have No Right to Know if Salmon are Genetically Modified (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- NSA’s Chief Technical Officer Cleared to Moonlight for Private Firm Founded by Former NSA Director Keith Alexander
- Report Shows Voter ID Laws Cut Participation in 2012 Election in Kansas and Tennessee
- The Key to U.S. Income Statistics: Average Family Income is Growing; Median Family Income is Falling
- Honda Accused of Hiding Death and Injury Claims
- Acting Director of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Who Is David Friedman?