Top Foreign Governments Seeking to Influence Washington
Governments with close ties to Washington spent more money last year to lobby Congress and the Obama administration than other foreign capitals.
Foreign spenders seeking to influence U.S. policymaking were led by the United Arab Emirates (UAE), which doled $14 million on American lobbying firms to push the oil sheikdom’s priorities and concerns with lawmakers and administration officials, according to the Sunlight Foundation, a nonprofit government watchdog group.
Disclosure forms filed by lobbyists showed the UAE wanted help with “illicit finance issues” and “a pre-clearance customs facility,” the foundation reported.
Canada’s lobbying ($11.2 million) included discussions with lawmakers about America’s oil ties with Venezuela and Saudi Arabia—whom Ottawa would just as soon push aside and replace those countries oil exports to the U.S. with Canadian tar sands oil via the Keystone XL pipeline.
Most of the disclosure forms for Serbia (or “Republika Srpska”) gave little indication what the lobbying was for, with reference only to “discussion about activities of RS office.” That is the Republika Srpska Office for Cooperation, Trade and Investment, one of the country’s three foreign lobbying groups.
Same goes for Georgia, which sought to discuss “U.S.-Georgia relations.” In the wake of Russia’s actions in Ukraine, there have been rumors of Washington advocating for Georgia to join the NATO alliance.
To Learn More:
What Countries Spent the Most to Influence the USA in 2013 (by Lindsay Young, Sunlight Foundation)
2013 Location Lobbying Totals (Sunlight Foundation)
Foreigners Avoid Restrictions on U.S. Campaign Donations by Donating Through Trade Associations (by Matt Bewig, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Percentage of Insured Americans and Access to Doctors Worse than Nearly All Other Industrialized Nations
- Bar Association’s Report on Trump’s Use of Libel Suits to Silence Critics is shelved out of Fear of Trump Lawsuit
- FBI, 80% of Its Agents White and Male, Loses Women and Minorities from Top Ranks
- Justice Dept. Moves to Disband Arizona Police Force with Ties to Discriminatory Church
- Cigarette Smoking is linked to 25% of All Cancer Deaths in U.S.