In Wake of U.S. Global War on Terror, International Terrorist Attacks Have Quadrupled since 9/11
If the United States’ war on terror was intended to curb terrorist attacks, then it has failed to meet its goal.
Since the September 11, 2001, attacks, terrorism incidents worldwide have actually gone up, from 982 in 2002 to 4,564 in 2011, according to a new study from the Institute for Economics and Peace.
Fatalities resulting from terrorism also have increased, although they peaked five years ago and have been on a downward trend since. In 2002, more than 3,800 people died due to terrorist attacks, climbing to 7,473 deaths last year, 25% less than in 2010.
“After 9/11, terrorist activity fell back to pre-2000 levels until after the Iraq invasion, and has since escalated dramatically,” Steve Killelea, founder and executive chairman of the Institute for Economics and Peace, told Reuters.
"Iraq accounts for about a third of all terrorist deaths over the last decade, and Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan account for over 50 percent of fatalities,” Killelea added.
International terrorists have caused fatal attacks in 29 countries. The United States is not included in this total because all of the deadly terrorist attacks committed inside the country since 2001 have been carried out by Americans.
To Learn More:
Terrorist Attacks Soar, Deaths Down from 2007 Peak: Study (by Peter Apps, Reuters)
Global Terrorism Index (Vision of Humanity)
Giuliani Third Leading Republican to Claim No Terrorist Attacks During Bush Presidency (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Is the FBI Encouraging Terrorist Plots In Order to Stop Them and Boost Their Success Rate? (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
More Americans Killed by Bees and Wasps or Falling Televisions than by Terrorists (by Matt Bewig, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Here’s Why Indiana’s Anti-Gay Law is Different from other States’ Religious Freedom Laws
- Obama-Appointed Judge Supports Obama Administration’s Blocking of Defamation Lawsuit against Anti-Iran Group
- Is Chinese Theft of U.S. Corn Seeds a National Security Issue or just another Example of Sleazy Business?
- Federal Hiring of Veterans Keeps Growing and Vet Unemployment Hits 7-Year Low
- Iowa House Set for First Wiccan Invocation in a State Legislature