Number of Gun Owners Down; Number of Guns Owned Up
Although fewer Americans own guns, that doesn’t mean the number of guns in circulation has dropped. Instead, gun owners are stocking up.
In 1994, gun owners had an average of 4.2 guns, which given that each owner has only two hands, would appear to be more than enough. But now, according to 2013 data provided by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and analyzed by The Washington Post, that number has risen to 8.1 guns per owner.
There are a couple factors that could account for this, according to the Post’s Christopher Ingraham. Organizations such as the National Rifle Association stoke fear that the government will take away guns, particularly in the wake of mass shootings, which could cause people to stock up on firearms. In addition, “prepper” groups build arsenals to prepare for a perceived coming crisis.
Ingraham also pointed out that there are a very few gun owners, the top 3%, who have more than 25 firearms each, which skews the average a bit.
Meanwhile, the guns keep on coming. As do mass shootings.
To Learn More:
The Average Gun Owner Now Owns 8 Guns — Double What It Used to Be (by Christopher Ingraham, Washington Post)
There are Now More Guns than People in the United States (by Christopher Ingraham, Washington Post)
As Hunting and Gun Ownership Decline, Remaining Gun Owners Stock Up (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
One Third of Americans Own Guns, but Only 4% Go Hunting (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- President-CEO of the Inter-American Foundation: Who Is Robert Kaplan?
- Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness: Who Is Matthew Doherty?
- Co-Chair of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board: Who is Shirley Ann Jackson?
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?
- Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Who Is Melissa Rogers?