Does the Obama Administration Need a Lesson in Afghan History?
Sometimes it pays to study a bit of history before sending troops to a foreign land. The Bush administration learned this the hard way when they invaded Iraq without taking into account the fact that Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq had been in conflict since before Saddam Hussein was even born. Now it is the turn of the Obama administration to ignore history at its peril as it prepares to send more troops to Afghanistan, while calling upon the leaders of that country and Pakistan to do a better job of controlling their common border.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- At Present Rate of Progress, Equal Pay for Women Predicted in 170 Years
- Change in U.S. Search Warrant Rules Seen as Expanding FBI Power to Hack into Nation’s Computers
- Watchdog Groups Decry Energy Dept. Plan for Massive Above-Ground Nuclear Waste Storage
- Most Americans Believe Their Vote Won’t Count
- Majority of U.S. Students Lag in Science; Girls and Minorities Make Modest Gains