Does the Obama Administration Need a Lesson in Afghan History?
Sometimes it pays to study a bit of history before sending troops to a foreign land. The Bush administration learned this the hard way when they invaded Iraq without taking into account the fact that Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq had been in conflict since before Saddam Hussein was even born. Now it is the turn of the Obama administration to ignore history at its peril as it prepares to send more troops to Afghanistan, while calling upon the leaders of that country and Pakistan to do a better job of controlling their common border.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Expensive New Hepatitis C Medicine, Seen as Harbinger of Specialty Drugs to Come, Poses Challenge to Health Care System
- Members of U.S. Military Subjected to Aggressive Collection Tactics of Litigious Loan Operation
- Patient Privacy Laws Misapplied to Protect Health Centers, Not Patients
- Most Migrant Children from Central America Released to U.S. Relatives, Often via Chaotic Air Travel
- For Weddings in Colorado and Washington State, Marijuana is Often the Key to Tying the Knot