Does the Obama Administration Need a Lesson in Afghan History?
Sometimes it pays to study a bit of history before sending troops to a foreign land. The Bush administration learned this the hard way when they invaded Iraq without taking into account the fact that Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq had been in conflict since before Saddam Hussein was even born. Now it is the turn of the Obama administration to ignore history at its peril as it prepares to send more troops to Afghanistan, while calling upon the leaders of that country and Pakistan to do a better job of controlling their common border.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Countering Justice Dept., Homeland Panel Pushes Use of Private, For-Profit Prisons for Immigrant Detainees
- The Clause in the U.S. Constitution that Trump as President Would Violate with His Foreign Businesses
- Ohio Tops Nation in Opioid Deaths
- Choice of Mnuchin as Treasury Chief is Hard Pill to Swallow for Some Trump Voters
- Liechtenstein’s Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Kurt Jaeger?