Does the Obama Administration Need a Lesson in Afghan History?
Sometimes it pays to study a bit of history before sending troops to a foreign land. The Bush administration learned this the hard way when they invaded Iraq without taking into account the fact that Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq had been in conflict since before Saddam Hussein was even born. Now it is the turn of the Obama administration to ignore history at its peril as it prepares to send more troops to Afghanistan, while calling upon the leaders of that country and Pakistan to do a better job of controlling their common border.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Industries, Congress and Federal Agencies Work Hard to Delay Worker Safety Regulations
- States where Politicians have Vowed to Continue Fighting Same-Sex Marriage
- Guantánamo Defense Lawyers Ask for Access to 14,000 CIA Photos of Secret Prisons
- Survey of 382 U.S. Law Enforcement Agencies Shows Far Greater Concern about Anti-Government Extremists than about Islamic Terrorists
- Pope Francis First Religious Leader to be Invited to Address Joint Session of Congress