Homeland Security Dept. Pays General Dynamics to Scour Internet for Criticism of its Policies
Monday, February 27, 2012
Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has been paying a defense contractor $11.4 million to monitor social media websites and other Internet communications to find criticisms of the department’s policies and actions.
A government watchdog organization, the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), obtained hundreds of documents from DHS through the Freedom of Information Act and found details of the arrangement with General Dynamics. The company was contracted to monitor the Web for “reports that reflect adversely on DHS,” including sub-agencies like the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Citizenship and Immigration Services, Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
In testimony submitted to the House Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence, Ginger McCall, director of EPIC’s Open Government Project, stated that “the agency is monitoring constantly, under very broad search terms, and is not limiting that monitoring to events or activities related to natural disasters, acts of terrorism, or manmade disasters….The DHS has no legal authority to engage in this monitoring.”
McCall added: “This has a profound effect on free speech online if you feel like a government law enforcement agency—particularly the Department of Homeland Security, which is supposed to look for terrorists—is monitoring your criticism, your dissent, of the government.”
To Learn More:
Secret Documents Reveal DHS Lied About Tracking Americans On Social Media (by Stephen Webster, Raw Story)
Congressional Testimony (Electronic Privacy Information Center) (pdf)
Letter to Congress (Electronic Privacy Information Center) (pdf)
Napolitano’s Homeland Security Filtered Public Document Requests Through Political Aides (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
See all 16 comments
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- 17 Million-Dollar Donors to Clinton Foundation while Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State
- Outside Agitators and Violence in Baltimore: 70% of Baltimore Police Don’t Live in Baltimore
- Saudi Military Kills Civilians Using Widely Banned U.S.-Supplied Cluster Bombs
- What Do We Know about the Torture Photos Obama Refuses to Release?
- House of Representatives Votes to Overrule a D.C. Law for First Time in 24 Years (Hint: It’s about Contraception and Abortion)