Conservatives Decide Trump Qualifies as a Fascist
Some conservatives alarmed by Donald Trump’s inflammatory remarks and suggestions regarding Muslim-Americans have resorted to describing him using the f-word.
Trump has used inflammatory language when speaking of immigrants, particularly Latinos, and has called for surveillance of Muslim-Americans, and has suggested they be made to register with the U.S. government. In response, Max Boot, an adviser to GOP presidential contender and Senator Marco Rubio (R-Florida) said: “Trump is a fascist.”
“And that’s not a term I use loosely or often. But he’s earned it,” Boot tweeted.
Another Republican, John Noonan, who advises Jeb Bush on national security issues, posted on Twitter: “Forced federal registration of US citizens, based on religious identity, is fascism. Period. Nothing else to call it.”
Still another right-wing voice, Iowa radio host Steve Deace, who has endorsed Ted Cruz, remarked: “If Obama proposed the same religion registry as Trump every conservative in the country would call it what it is—creeping fascism.”
Trump’s attempts to control the media and inciting violence against critics at rallies also suggest fascist characteristics, according to some historians.
To Learn More:
Why Some Conservatives say Trump Talk is Fascist (by MJ Lee, CNN)
The Unprecedented Nightmare of Donald Trump: He’s Actually a Fascist (by Heather Digby Parton, Salon)
Republicans Move to Dump 'Fascist' Trump (Agence France-Presse)
Donald Trump and the “F-Word” (by Rick Perlstein, Washington Spectator)
Trump Anti-Immigrant Rhetoric Emboldens Hate Mongers (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Thousands of At-Risk Afghan Translators Who Aided U.S. Military Must Rely on Trump for Visas for U.S. Sanctuary
- California Lawmakers to Enact Sweeping Laws to Resist Trump’s Mass Immigrant Deportation Threats
- Decades-Long Trend of Rising Life Expectancy in U.S. Undergoes Mysterious Reversal
- Fake U.S. Embassy Operated for 10 Years in Ghana
- Marshall Islands’ Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Gerald Zackios?