Director of the U.S. National Central Bureau of INTERPOL: Who Is Shawn Bray?
The U.S. Office of the International Criminal Police Organization, better known as Interpol, has had a new director since October 21, 2012. A 25-year veteran of federal law enforcement, Shawn A. Bray acts on behalf of the Attorney General as the official U.S. representative to Interpol, which is located in Lyon, France, and has 189 member nations. Since 2003, the U.S. National Central Bureau (USNCB) of Interpol has been under the alternating jurisdiction of the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which switch off every three years.
Born circa 1966 and raised outside St. Louis, Bray earned a B.S. in Criminal Justice at Truman State University (then Northeast Missouri State University) in Kirksville, Missouri, in 1988.
Bray started his career in 1988 as a U.S. Customs Service special agent in Arizona, where he was also assigned to work for Internal Affairs. In 2003, the Customs Service was merged with the Immigration and Naturalization Service to become U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), an agency in DHS. Within ICE, Bray served as a Homeland Security Investigations operations chief responsible for the Southeast region of the U.S. He also served as unit chief of ICE’s Cyber Crimes Center.
He joined USNCB Interpol in February 2010, serving as deputy director in Washington through October 2012.
Bray speaks fluent Spanish and is an enthusiastic owner of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
To Learn More:
A Look Inside Interpol in Washington (by Christopher Snow Hopkins, National Journal)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- President-CEO of the Inter-American Foundation: Who Is Robert Kaplan?
- Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness: Who Is Matthew Doherty?
- Co-Chair of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board: Who is Shirley Ann Jackson?
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?
- Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Who Is Melissa Rogers?