Most Honest Americans Found in Alabama and Hawaii; Least Honest in…Washington, D.C.
The company set up more than 60 unmanned kiosks around the U.S., with at least one in every state, offering cups of tea for $1. Each location included a drop box for the payment.
Overall, 92% of Americans who visited the stands paid their buck. In Alabama and Hawaii, everyone paid without exception. Folks in Indiana and Maine did almost as well, achieving a 99% honesty score.
But in Washington, DC, about 20% took a drink without paying. The least honest (after DC) were West Virginia (85% paid) and Texas and Kentucky (both 87%). The morality level in DC was so low that someone even stole a bicycle belonging to the Honest Tea’s founder.
Men and women were nearly equally honest, with females taking a slight edge, 95% to 91%. Blondes were more honest than bald people 95% to 90% and people who wore glasses were more honest than men with “5 o’clock shadow” 94% to 88%.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
To Learn More:
Experiment Finds D.C. Residents are the Least Honest Americans (Agence France-Presse)
The National Honesty Index (Honest Tea)
Surprise: Studies Show Rich People are more Unethical than Poor People (by Matt Bewig, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Biggest Dark Money Spender in 2014 Elections: U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Burundi, Rwanda and Nicaragua among Nations Ranked Ahead of U.S. on Equality for Women
- Stonewalling in Georgia: As Election Day Nears, Judge Refuses to Force Secretary of State to Process 40,000 Missing Voter Registrations
- Media Credibility Threatened by FBI Falsification of AP News Story to Locate Bomb Suspect
- Fast-Food Workers Earn $20 an Hour plus Benefits…in Denmark. Why Not in U.S.?