Illinois Newspaper Misidentified Man as Insane Murderer…Three Times
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Keith Grinston is suing the Belleville News Democrat for misidentifying him—not once, not twice, but three times—as a man who stabbed his wife to death but was found not guilty by reason of insanity. The confusion involved the newspaper publishing a story about the real culprit, John Grinston, but using a photo of Keith, whose defamation lawsuit is directed at the News Democrat and its corporate parent, The McClatchy Co. Grinston—Keith, that is—is asking for $50,000 in compensation.
Third Time You're Out, Man Tells Newspaper (by Joe Harris, Courthouse News Service)
Keith Grinston v. Belleville News Democrat (20th Judicial Circuit Court, St. Clair County, Illinois) (pdf)
Man Who Stabbed Wife to Death Being Held on New Allegations (by Beth Hundsdorfer, Belleville News-Democrat)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Talking-Car Technology Pits Two U.S. Agencies against Each Other
- State Medical Boards’ Failure to Report Sexually Abusive Doctors Keeps Them on the Job
- People’s Identities Collected and Traded like Baseball Cards in Controversial Twitter App Game
- U.S. May Add Speed-Capping Device to Trucks and Buses to Forcibly Slow Them Down
- U.S. Ambassador to Lebanon: Who Is Elizabeth Holzhall Richard?