Gingrich, Unaware Washington and Jefferson Grew Marijuana, Claims They Would Have “Violently” Opposed Growers
Saturday, January 07, 2012
(photo: Zen Sutherland)
Former history professor and presidential candidate Newt Gingrich has said that two of the nation’s founding fathers would not have tolerated marijuana production and would have cracked down violently on growers.
“I think Jefferson or George Washington would have rather strongly discouraged you from growing marijuana and their techniques with dealing with it would have been rather more violent than our current government,” Gingrich told an audience in Concord, New Hampshire.
Apparently Gingrich, who taught history and geography at West Georgia College for eight years, didn’t know that both Washington and Jefferson grew marijuana on their farms, which was common back in the days of the Founding Fathers because the plant was used for commercial purposes, such as for making rope and textiles.
Gingrich: Founding Fathers Would Have ‘Violent’ Reaction to Pot Growers (by Eric Dolan, Raw Story)
Newt Gingrich Rips Marijuana Use, Shows Historical Ignorance (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws)
Did George Washington and Thomas Jefferson Grow Marijuana? (The Straight Dope)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Your Tax Dollars at Work…State Dept. Lobbies Abroad for Monsanto Biotech Seeds
- Director of the Federal Housing Finance Agency: Who Is Mel Watt?
- Pacific Islanders Ask U.S. Military to not Use Pagan Island for Target Practice
- Wrongful Death Lawsuit against Wells Fargo in Wrongful Foreclosure Case
- Ambassador from Chad: Who Is Maitine Djoumbe?