10 Members of Congress who Receive Farm Subsidies Voted to Cut Food Stamps
Ten members of Congress who have benefited from government-funded farm subsidies voted last week to reduce funding for food stamps that help poor people eat.
The lawmakers—all Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives—received agriculture subsidies, either directly or indirectly, through trusts or businesses owned by themselves or their spouses.
They personally benefited from a taxpayer-supported program, then turned around and supported legislation to cut $40 billion over 10 years from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, commonly known as the “food stamp” program).
The 10 GOP representatives are: Robert Aderholt of Alabama, Stephen Fincher of Tennessee, Vicky Hartzler of Missouri, John Kline of Minnesota, Doug LaMalfa of California, Frank Lucas of Oklahoma, Randy Neugebauer of Texas, Kristi Noem of South Dakota, Marlin Stutzman of Indiana and Mac Thornberry of Texas.
Rice farmer LaMalfa led the pack. He and his wife, Jill, own one–third of DSL Lamalfa Family Partnership, which received $188,570 in direct payments in 2012 and $5,132,156 total since 1995.
The liberal advocacy group Campaign for America’s Future criticized the effort to reduce funding for SNAP, noting that 47 million Americans in the past year have relied on the program while the nation continues to struggle through “our jobless recovery.”
“It’s perverse to weaken our nation’s first line of defense against hunger and poverty by $4 billion per year while giving hundreds of billions to big corporations that don’t need them,” Derek Pugh wrote on the organization’s website.
To Learn More:
The 10 Farm Subsidy Recipients Who Voted To Cut Food Stamps (by Derek Pugh, Campaign for America’s Future)
Families on Food Stamps would Suffer while Farms get Fat (by Michael Hiltzik, Los Angeles Times)
23 Members of Congress Receive Farm Subsidies (by David Wallechinsky and Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Nation’s Scientists Protest House Science Chairman’s Mission to Discredit NOAA Global Warming Report
- Pfizer Tax Shelter Move and Price Increases Led by Valeant Compound Image of Drug Industry Greed
- Fracking Companies Find More Ways to Disclose Less about Chemicals They Use
- Walmart Recruited FBI and Lockheed Intelligence Unit for Surveillance of Employee Union Activity
- Georgia Secretary of State Accused of Disclosing Personal Details of 6 Million Voters…and Hiding the Mistake