U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice Skipped Key Vote to Appear with Jon Stewart
When the United Nations’ General Assembly voted last Friday on an important war crimes report, the absence of U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice was noticeable. Diplomats and UN observers speculated why Rice was missing from a decision on the Goldstone Report, which discussed alleged atrocities committed by Israel and Hamas. The Obama administration supported the Israeli position and voted against endorsing the report. Yet Obama has also emphasized the need to engage the Arab world, so some observers wondered if he was trying to make a statement by keeping Rice away from the vote.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Pentagon Revises Rules on Dealing With Journalists
- Guantánamo Defense Attorney Wants Tribunal Site Tested for Toxic Chemicals
- Woodstock Producers Say Republicans Stole Their Logo for Convention
- Justice Department Says Town Discriminated Against Muslims
- New York Solar Project Would Result in Destruction of 350 Acres of Trees