Judge Asks CIA to Investigate Itself Regarding Illegal Tape Destruction
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Don’t expect anyone to be punished for the destruction of torture tapes by the CIA. Responding to a request from civil libertarians that the CIA should be held in contempt of court for destroying the tapes, U.S. District Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein criticized the intelligence agency for its actions, but limited his punishment to a request that CIA officials investigate the matter themselves.
The 92 video recordings of detainees being tortured during interrogation sessions were illegally destroyed in November 2005, immediately after news accounts revealed the existence of secret prisons being operated by the CIA.
“This kind of destruction never should have occurred,” said Hellerstein, adding that it showed that the CIA does not trust “judges to have proper regard for the security interests of the United States.”
Following the judge’s remarks, Assistant U.S. Attorney Tara LaMorte said a government prosecutor who investigated the destruction has offered to meet with Hellerstein and tell him what he learned. The judge indicated he might make public some details revealed in that meeting.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
Judge to CIA: Ensure No Repeat of Tape Destruction (by Larry Neumeister, Associated Press)
When CIA Destroyed Interrogation Tapes, They Missed One Set (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Judge Rules CIA Can Withhold Info about Illegal Methods (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Release of Documents Showing Timing of CIA Destruction of Torture Tapes (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Nebraska becomes First Conservative State in 42 Years to Abolish Death Penalty
- 48 Years after it was Supposed to Desegregate, Louisiana School District is Given 3 more Years of Federal Supervision
- U.S. Courts Struggle with Case of Border Patrol Agent who Shot to Death a Teenager on the other Side of the Border
- If Non-Human Corporations can be Protected by Habeas Corpus, Why can’t Chimpanzees?
- Majority of Americans Now Believe that Pre-Marital Sex is Acceptable