House Republicans Choose White Men to Head 20 of 21 Committees
Oops, they did it again. The Republican Party, despite vowing to be more inclusive of women and minorities, has chosen white men to lead all but one House committee.
The sole exception among the 21 committee chairs will be Representative Candice Miller (R-Michigan), who will again lead the House Administration Committee.
Democrats were quick to criticize the appointments. “Republicans promised to be more welcoming to women—but passed over women to give every single new committee chairmanship to a white man,” Spokeswoman Emily Bittner at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee said in a statement.
To Learn More:
House Republicans Just Picked 21 Committee Chairs. 20 Are Men. (by Daniel Newhauser, National Journal)
Republican Push To Promote Women Stumbles As White Guys Sweep Committee Chairs (by Michael McAuliff, Huffington Post)
In House of Representatives, Republicans Remain the White Man Party (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
House Republican Committee Leaders: White Men 19; Everyone Else 0 (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Fear of Violence at Polls on Election Day Causes Cancellation of Classes in Schools across Nation
- Civil Rights Groups Sue FBI and Homeland Security for Records on Black Lives Surveillance
- Federal Judge Denies Former Guantánamo Detainee’s Request for U.S. Statement of His Innocence
- AARP Lawsuit Claims U.S. Wellness Programs Violate Employee Health Privacy
- Oklahoma’s Third Largest Earthquake Likely Caused by Wastewater Disposal