House Republicans Choose White Men to Head 20 of 21 Committees
Oops, they did it again. The Republican Party, despite vowing to be more inclusive of women and minorities, has chosen white men to lead all but one House committee.
The sole exception among the 21 committee chairs will be Representative Candice Miller (R-Michigan), who will again lead the House Administration Committee.
Democrats were quick to criticize the appointments. “Republicans promised to be more welcoming to women—but passed over women to give every single new committee chairmanship to a white man,” Spokeswoman Emily Bittner at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee said in a statement.
To Learn More:
House Republicans Just Picked 21 Committee Chairs. 20 Are Men. (by Daniel Newhauser, National Journal)
Republican Push To Promote Women Stumbles As White Guys Sweep Committee Chairs (by Michael McAuliff, Huffington Post)
In House of Representatives, Republicans Remain the White Man Party (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
House Republican Committee Leaders: White Men 19; Everyone Else 0 (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel: Who Is Steven A. Engel?
- Secretary of the Navy: Who Is Philip Bilden?
- Director of the United States Attorneys: Who is Monty Wilkinson?
- Chief of U.S. Border Patrol: Who Is Ron Vitiello?
- Chairman of the U.S. Parole Commission: Who is J. Patricia Wilson Smoot?