House Republican Committee Leaders: White Men 19; Everyone Else 0
After watching their presidential candidate lose the election in part because Mitt Romney failed to gain more support from minorities and women, House Republicans leaders this week announced that all committee chairs in the next congressional session will be manned by white males.
Nineteen chairmen were selected, and not single woman or minority member was selected to head a standing committee.
Not that the GOP caucus had a lot of females or minorities to choose from. Only 20 House Republicans are female, five are Latino and one is African-American. By contrast, of the 201 Democrats in the House of Representatives, 61 are women, 42 are African-Americans, 23 are Latinos, 13 are Asian or Pacific Islanders, and four are Arab-Americans.
Of the 19 white men chosen by the Republicans, four are from Texas and three from Michigan.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
To Learn More:
House Republicans Pick Only White Men To Be Committee Chairmen (by Dashell Bennett, Atlantic Wire)
Boehner Statement on GOP Steering Committee Recommendations for Committee Chairmanships in the 113th Congress (House Speaker John Boehner)
White Guys Running the U.S. House Face Diverse Democrats (by Timothy R. Homan, Bloomberg)
Rep. Issa Opens Hearing about Contraception Coverage with All-Male Panel (by Matt Bewig, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- When F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Goes Operational this Summer, it won’t Work any better than 40-Year-Old Thunderbolts
- Interior Secretary Jewell Defends Fracking on Public Lands; Says Industry is Responsible for Reassuring Public
- Is U.S. Ignoring Obama’s Promise to Avoid Civilians Killings by Drones?
- Inspector General Report Details Dysfunction in Patent and Trademark Office
- Lawsuit against Police-Private Probation Revenue Enhancer Highlights Exploitation of Poor