House Republican Committee Leaders: White Men 19; Everyone Else 0
After watching their presidential candidate lose the election in part because Mitt Romney failed to gain more support from minorities and women, House Republicans leaders this week announced that all committee chairs in the next congressional session will be manned by white males.
Nineteen chairmen were selected, and not single woman or minority member was selected to head a standing committee.
Not that the GOP caucus had a lot of females or minorities to choose from. Only 20 House Republicans are female, five are Latino and one is African-American. By contrast, of the 201 Democrats in the House of Representatives, 61 are women, 42 are African-Americans, 23 are Latinos, 13 are Asian or Pacific Islanders, and four are Arab-Americans.
Of the 19 white men chosen by the Republicans, four are from Texas and three from Michigan.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
To Learn More:
House Republicans Pick Only White Men To Be Committee Chairmen (by Dashell Bennett, Atlantic Wire)
Boehner Statement on GOP Steering Committee Recommendations for Committee Chairmanships in the 113th Congress (House Speaker John Boehner)
White Guys Running the U.S. House Face Diverse Democrats (by Timothy R. Homan, Bloomberg)
Rep. Issa Opens Hearing about Contraception Coverage with All-Male Panel (by Matt Bewig, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Pentagon Orders 10,000 Soldiers to Repay Bonuses a Decade after Serving in Middle East
- Retirement Plans are Worse for Teachers, Charities, Clergy and Non-Profits
- Opposition to Cleveland Indians’ Name and Logo to Get Bigger Spotlight at World Series
- Taking a Selfie is taking a Risk When You Cast Your Ballot … If You Don’t Know State Law
- Texas Included State’s Drunk Drivers and Child Support Evaders in Tally of “High-Threat” Immigrant Border Arrests