Abused Circus Elephants May Be Banned from Los Angeles for First Time Since 1919
The show must not go on if it means cruelty for the animals involved, say Los Angeles politicians considering a ban on circus elephant shows.
Next year the LA City Council will vote on a plan to prohibit circuses from using elephants in shows. Pushed by animal rights advocates, the ban would mostly affect The Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus, which has been bringing Asian elephants to the city since 1919.
Long billed as “The Greatest Show on Earth,” Ringling Brothers has been accused of mistreating its elephants by hitting them with bull hooks as part of their training. Animal welfare groups contend that making the large animals constantly move around the country also is unfair to them.
Ringling Brothers says its trainers treat all animals humanely. It also cites inspections by the U.S. Department of Agriculture as proof that the elephants and other species receive topnotch care.
If the ban is approved, Ringling Brothers would be barred from the nation’s second-largest city unless its owners agree to drop the elephant show.
“The treatment of elephants in traveling circuses is one of the crueler practices, and it’s time for us to stand up for them,” Paul Koretz, the City Council member who sponsored the ban, told The New York Times. Koretz added that LA’s ban could prompt other cities to impose their own.
To Learn More:
Los Angeles Weighs Law Banning Elephant Shows (by Ian Lovett, New York Times)
Why Does the FBI Treat Videotaping Corporate Animal Abuse as Terrorism? (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
An Elephant Never Forgets, and Now He Can Talk About It (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- The Lawsuit that could Eliminate Healthcare Subsidies for 13 Million Americans
- In a Classic Friday Afternoon News Release, Republican-Controlled House Intelligence Committee Admits No Wrongdoing by Pentagon and CIA in Benghazi
- President Ronald Reagan on Illegal Immigrants: Just the Facts
- Is Chinese Takeover of Waldorf Astoria Hotel a Threat to National Security?
- What Does Jeb Bush do for a Living?