U.S. Ambassador to China: Who is Jon M. Huntsman, Jr.?
Jon M. Huntsman Jr. does not fit the typical profile of a U.S. ambassador. Generally, ambassadors fall into one of two camps: Career diplomats; or wealthy political contributors rewarded for their support of the president and his party. Huntsman has never been in the Foreign Service, and as a conservative Republican, he supported President Barack Obama’s opponent, Sen. John McCain.
Outside of his political work, Huntsman has served as president and CEO of the Huntsman Cancer Foundation, and as chair of the Utah Opera, Envision Utah, KSL radio’s Family Now Campaign, and the National Governors Association’s Natural Resources Committee, which is currently chaired by Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. Huntsman is also a branch director of Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, a member of the advisory board of the University of Utah School of Business and a member emeritus of the board of trustees for the University of Pennsylvania.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Because Obama Administration Demanded Google Cooperate in Surveillance, Chinese Gained Access to Targets
- 85,000 Vets Treated for Sexual Abuse Injuries and Trauma in 2012
- U.S. Counter-Terrorism Apparatus is used to Quell Dissent among Americans
- Global Increase in Bigotry against Jews and Muslims
- Robots Seen as Filling Caregiver Vacuum for Aging Baby Boomers