Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration: Who Is Cynthia Quarterman?
President Obama has turned to a strong supporter with lengthy experience in pipeline law and regulation to serve as the new Administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), which is responsible for protecting the public and the environment when hazardous materials are transported by land, water, or air. This includes almost one million daily shipments of hazardous materials, including 64% of the nation’s petroleum products. Congress created PHMSA in 2004 so there would be a single agency focusing on pipeline and hazardous materials transportation policies and procedures. Quarterman was confirmed by the Senate November 5, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Alarming Conditions at U.S. Air Base in Djibouti
- Ohio Supreme Court Rules NFL Players Were Overtaxed When They Played Cleveland Browns
- Good News from the U.S.-Mexican Border
- Peru’s Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Luis Miguel Castilla?
- Niger’s Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Hassana Alidou?