Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration: Who Is Cynthia Quarterman?
President Obama has turned to a strong supporter with lengthy experience in pipeline law and regulation to serve as the new Administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), which is responsible for protecting the public and the environment when hazardous materials are transported by land, water, or air. This includes almost one million daily shipments of hazardous materials, including 64% of the nation’s petroleum products. Congress created PHMSA in 2004 so there would be a single agency focusing on pipeline and hazardous materials transportation policies and procedures. Quarterman was confirmed by the Senate November 5, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Republican Governors Outsource Prisons, Child Support Services, Jobs Agencies
- Alarming Rise in Temperatures in U.S.’s Northernmost Town
- Sex Offenders Run for Office in Minnesota
- U.S. Ambassador to Uzbekistan: Who Is Pamela Spratlen?
- U.S. Ambassador to Bahrain: Who Is William Roebuck?