Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration: Who Is Cynthia Quarterman?
President Obama has turned to a strong supporter with lengthy experience in pipeline law and regulation to serve as the new Administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), which is responsible for protecting the public and the environment when hazardous materials are transported by land, water, or air. This includes almost one million daily shipments of hazardous materials, including 64% of the nation’s petroleum products. Congress created PHMSA in 2004 so there would be a single agency focusing on pipeline and hazardous materials transportation policies and procedures. Quarterman was confirmed by the Senate November 5, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Battling Obesity in U.S., FDA Approves Sweeping New Rules for Calorie Disclosure
- In Blow to Climate Change Fight, EPA Prepares to End Alternative Fuel Program
- Feds Tell Nation’s Cops to Stop Illegally Seizing Motorists’ Property…But Only if they Want To
- Senate Committee Accused of Failing to Interview Men Tortured by CIA for its Torture Report
- U.S. Bombing in Syria Said to Drive More Anti-Assad Rebels to Join or Support ISIS