Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration: Who Is Cynthia Quarterman?
President Obama has turned to a strong supporter with lengthy experience in pipeline law and regulation to serve as the new Administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), which is responsible for protecting the public and the environment when hazardous materials are transported by land, water, or air. This includes almost one million daily shipments of hazardous materials, including 64% of the nation’s petroleum products. Congress created PHMSA in 2004 so there would be a single agency focusing on pipeline and hazardous materials transportation policies and procedures. Quarterman was confirmed by the Senate November 5, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Obama has Averaged more than One Fundraiser a Week Since he became President
- Philadelphia Mayor Nutter Orders Police and Prisons to Limit Cooperation with Federal Immigration Agents
- In first Challenge to Consumer Complaint Database, Court Orders Release of Company’s Name
- First Trial of a Non-Native American in a Tribal Court
- Director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: Who Is Leon Rodriguez?