Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration: Who Is Cynthia Quarterman?
President Obama has turned to a strong supporter with lengthy experience in pipeline law and regulation to serve as the new Administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), which is responsible for protecting the public and the environment when hazardous materials are transported by land, water, or air. This includes almost one million daily shipments of hazardous materials, including 64% of the nation’s petroleum products. Congress created PHMSA in 2004 so there would be a single agency focusing on pipeline and hazardous materials transportation policies and procedures. Quarterman was confirmed by the Senate November 5, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Serves as International Bulldog for Tobacco Industry
- Could Puerto Rico Go the Way of Greece?
- Obama Pushes to Extend Overtime Pay to 5 Million more Workers
- Oregonians Can Now Legally Smoke Marijuana…but they can’t Buy it or Sell it
- Police Can Arrest You for Calling them Names, but They’ll Lose in Court