Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration: Who Is Cynthia Quarterman?
President Obama has turned to a strong supporter with lengthy experience in pipeline law and regulation to serve as the new Administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), which is responsible for protecting the public and the environment when hazardous materials are transported by land, water, or air. This includes almost one million daily shipments of hazardous materials, including 64% of the nation’s petroleum products. Congress created PHMSA in 2004 so there would be a single agency focusing on pipeline and hazardous materials transportation policies and procedures. Quarterman was confirmed by the Senate November 5, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Poland Accused in Europe Human Rights Court of Aiding CIA Kidnapping and Torture
- For the First Time in 40 Years, Most Americans Believe U.S. Declining as Global Power
- Dallas Police Now Forced to Wait 3 Days before Recounting Shooting Incidents
- U.N. Launches its First Drone, Joining U.S.-Led Proliferation across 70 Nations
- Lowering Corporate Tax Rate Unlikely to Create More Jobs