Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration: Who Is Cynthia Quarterman?
President Obama has turned to a strong supporter with lengthy experience in pipeline law and regulation to serve as the new Administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), which is responsible for protecting the public and the environment when hazardous materials are transported by land, water, or air. This includes almost one million daily shipments of hazardous materials, including 64% of the nation’s petroleum products. Congress created PHMSA in 2004 so there would be a single agency focusing on pipeline and hazardous materials transportation policies and procedures. Quarterman was confirmed by the Senate November 5, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Biggest Dark Money Spender in 2014 Elections: U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Burundi, Rwanda and Nicaragua among Nations Ranked Ahead of U.S. on Equality for Women
- Stonewalling in Georgia: As Election Day Nears, Judge Refuses to Force Secretary of State to Process 40,000 Missing Voter Registrations
- Media Credibility Threatened by FBI Falsification of AP News Story to Locate Bomb Suspect
- Fast-Food Workers Earn $20 an Hour plus Benefits…in Denmark. Why Not in U.S.?