Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration: Who Is Cynthia Quarterman?
President Obama has turned to a strong supporter with lengthy experience in pipeline law and regulation to serve as the new Administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), which is responsible for protecting the public and the environment when hazardous materials are transported by land, water, or air. This includes almost one million daily shipments of hazardous materials, including 64% of the nation’s petroleum products. Congress created PHMSA in 2004 so there would be a single agency focusing on pipeline and hazardous materials transportation policies and procedures. Quarterman was confirmed by the Senate November 5, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Federal Judge Rules Employers do not have to Provide Insurance Coverage for Contraception even if their Objection is not Religious
- VA Medical Errors Up; Investigations of Medical Errors Down
- Taxpayers Pick Up Hefty Tab for KBR’s Defense in Iraqi Toxic Exposure Lawsuits
- Majority of Americans Want Background Checks for all Gun Sales and a Ban on Assault-Style Weapons
- Only 44 of 190 Countries Meet Goal of 30% Women in Legislature…U.S. Isn’t One of Them