Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration: Who Is Cynthia Quarterman?
President Obama has turned to a strong supporter with lengthy experience in pipeline law and regulation to serve as the new Administrator of the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), which is responsible for protecting the public and the environment when hazardous materials are transported by land, water, or air. This includes almost one million daily shipments of hazardous materials, including 64% of the nation’s petroleum products. Congress created PHMSA in 2004 so there would be a single agency focusing on pipeline and hazardous materials transportation policies and procedures. Quarterman was confirmed by the Senate November 5, 2009.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Obama Disgusts Human Rights Advocates by Calling Ethiopian Government “Democratically Elected”
- Justice Dept. Audit Criticizes DEA for Poor Oversight of Drug Informants
- 27% of People Killed in Police Car Chases are Innocent Bystanders
- Transportation Dept. Investigating Major Airlines for Price Gouging after Amtrak Crash
- Navy Accused of Endangering Health of Nearby Civilians with Excess Noise