Malta’s Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Clive Agius?
Pierre Clive Agius, a career member of Malta’s Foreign Service, presented his credentials as ambassador to President Barack Obama on March 2, 2016.
Agius was born October, 21, 1965, son of Joseph and Josephine Agius. He attended the University of Malta in 1992 with a bachelor’s in education, earned a post-graduate certificate in environmental management in 1994 and a master’s in diplomatic studies from the Mediterranean Academy of Diplomatic Studies in 1995. He joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1993.
His first overseas assignment was as first secretary in the Maltese embassy in Paris in 1995. Agius was sent to Geneva to represent his country at the Permanent Mission to the United Nations in 1999, and served as consul general there as well.
Agius returned to Malta in 2002 to serve as diplomatic counselor to then-President Guide de Marco. In 2004, Agius went to Vienna as Malta’s deputy head of mission to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, the UN organizations there and the International Atomic Energy Agency. In 2007, he was named special envoy in Slovenia. The following year, he assumed his first ambassadorial post, in Belgium. He held ambassadorships to Luxembourg in 2009 and subsequently to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
In 2012, Agius was named ambassador to France and Monaco, and assumed the same post in Poland the following year. In 2014, he added Armenia to his portfolio. He held those assignments until being appointed to the Washington job.
Agius is married with two daughters. He speaks Maltese, English, Italian, French, Slovene and Arabic.
To Learn More:
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?
- Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Who Is Melissa Rogers?
- Principal Deputy Director of the United States Mint: Who Is Rhett Jeppson?
- Coordinator of the Bureau of International Information Programs: Who is Macon Phillips?
- Acting Under Secretary of the Veterans Benefits Administration: Who Is Tom Murphy?