Ambassador to Oman: Who Is Richard Schmierer?
On June 11, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated a career diplomat with extensive experience in the Middle East to be the next ambassador to Oman. Richard J. Schmierer was born in New Jersey circa 1952, and earned a B.A. from Lehigh University in 1974, and a Master’s (1975) and a Ph.D. (1977) in Linguistics from the University of Massachusetts. His doctoral dissertation concerned the Anglo-Saxon language.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Judge Who Blocked Release of Osama bin Laden Death Photos Now Blocks Release of Senate Torture Report
- Holder Deadline for Prosecuting Wall Street Executives for Financial Crisis Passes without a Single Charge
- CIA Ends Information Sharing with Climate Scientists
- 75% of U.S. Schools Use Surveillance Cameras; 70% Perform Campus Shooting Drills
- House Passes Bill Giving Corporations Property Rights to Mining on Asteroids