Ambassador to Oman: Who Is Richard Schmierer?
On June 11, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated a career diplomat with extensive experience in the Middle East to be the next ambassador to Oman. Richard J. Schmierer was born in New Jersey circa 1952, and earned a B.A. from Lehigh University in 1974, and a Master’s (1975) and a Ph.D. (1977) in Linguistics from the University of Massachusetts. His doctoral dissertation concerned the Anglo-Saxon language.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Facebook Expands Political Footprint, Eyeing Major Role in 2016 Presidential Campaigns
- 50 Years since Passage of Voting Rights Act … and Birth of the Campaign to Reverse It
- U.S. Maneuver on Malaysia Human Rights Rating and Big Pharma Terms among Concerns in TPP Trade Talks
- To Bar Abortion, Alabama Appoints Lawyer for Fetus, Strips Incarcerated Mother of Parental Rights
- Bostonians Torn Over Olympics that Might Have Been: Deep Regret or Sigh of Relief?