Ambassador to Oman: Who Is Richard Schmierer?
On June 11, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated a career diplomat with extensive experience in the Middle East to be the next ambassador to Oman. Richard J. Schmierer was born in New Jersey circa 1952, and earned a B.A. from Lehigh University in 1974, and a Master’s (1975) and a Ph.D. (1977) in Linguistics from the University of Massachusetts. His doctoral dissertation concerned the Anglo-Saxon language.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Lawsuit Accuses White House of Setting Roadblocks to Freedom of Information Act Requests
- Justice Dept. Adds Money Laundering to Drug-Related Charges against FedEx
- $3 Billion Job Training Program Can Lead to Debt instead of Work
- 34 Foreign Service Ambassador Nominees Remain Unconfirmed
- Energy Dept. to Make Thousands of Research Papers Available to Public for Free