Ambassador to Oman: Who Is Richard Schmierer?
On June 11, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated a career diplomat with extensive experience in the Middle East to be the next ambassador to Oman. Richard J. Schmierer was born in New Jersey circa 1952, and earned a B.A. from Lehigh University in 1974, and a Master’s (1975) and a Ph.D. (1977) in Linguistics from the University of Massachusetts. His doctoral dissertation concerned the Anglo-Saxon language.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- 9 American Insiders Who Opposed Bush Torture Program
- Sen. Coburn Blocks Funding for Veterans Suicide Prevention Web Site
- Social Security Administration Still Collecting Debts from Children of Overpaid Recipients Despite Promising to Stop
- Nominee for U.S. Ambassador to Norway Gives Up; Who Was George Tsunis?
- Lax Oversight of Americans Lobbying for Foreign Governments