Ambassador to Oman: Who Is Richard Schmierer?
On June 11, 2009, President Barack Obama nominated a career diplomat with extensive experience in the Middle East to be the next ambassador to Oman. Richard J. Schmierer was born in New Jersey circa 1952, and earned a B.A. from Lehigh University in 1974, and a Master’s (1975) and a Ph.D. (1977) in Linguistics from the University of Massachusetts. His doctoral dissertation concerned the Anglo-Saxon language.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Americans Wary of Future Science Designed to “Enhance” Human Species
- Arkansas Secrecy Law Hinders Pfizer Effort to Curtail Use of Its Drug for State Executions
- Labor Dept. Orders $1 Million Back Pay for Underpaid U.S. Senate Cafeteria Workers
- As Nominee, Trump Employs Code Words to Fuel Racial Animosity, Say Observers
- Obama Vetoes Bill Limiting Ex-Presidents’ Allowance