Obama Plans to Expand Assassination List
Thousands of people have been killed by the U.S. war on terrorism, but that hasn’t stopped the Obama administration from planning to add even more names to the so-called assassination list of those considered a threat to the country. The administration does not use the word “assassination,” preferring the term “targeted killing.”
The administration has spent the past two years developing a secret “disposition matrix” that The Washington Post says represents a “next-generation targeting list” for ridding the world of terrorists.
The fact that Osama bin Laden is dead and that the U.S. war in Afghanistan is winding down have not persuaded officials to slow down on clandestine programs designed to find and kill members of al Qaeda and similar organizations. According to the Post’s Greg Miller, the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command has set up a “targeting center” just 15 minutes from the White House, and the National Counterterrorism Center, formerly a data collection center not directly involved in operations, has been transformed into a “targeting hub.”
If anything the government intends to keep adding names to its assassination list for years to come, possibly even for another decade.
By some accounts the number of militants and civilians killed in American drone strikes since September 11, 2001, will soon exceed 3,000—a total greater than the number of those killed during the 9/11 attacks.
To Learn More:
Plan For Hunting Terrorists Signals U.S. Intends To Keep Adding Names To Kill Lists (by Greg Miller, Washington Post)
Is Obama the Real One-Man Death Panel for Alleged Terrorists? (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
Obama’s Secret Assassination Program (by David Wallechinsky and Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Evicted to Make Way for a U.S. Military Base almost 50 Years Ago, Chagos Islanders May Finally Return Home
- American Atheist Hacked to Death in Bangladesh
- Why Did Coast Guard Office in Alaska Allow Health Care Travel Program to be used for Undocumented Trips to Vail and Orlando?
- Chief Executive Officer, Broadcasting Board of Governors: Who Is Andrew Lack?
- Conservatives Versus Soldiers in Case of Lieutenant Convicted of Murder