Global Increase in Bigotry against Jews and Muslims
Hatred towards Muslims and Jews increased last year, according to an annual report from the State Department.
The International Religious Freedom Report quoted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi, who praised comments by a religious leader calling for Allah to “destroy the Jews and their supporters.”
In Venezuela, state-controlled media published multiple anti-Semitic remarks, including opposition to a Catholic presidential candidate with Jewish roots.
There also were reports of violence against Shia and Ahmadi Muslims in Pakistan, discrimination against non-Sunni Muslims in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, as well as harassment and arrests of Sunni Muslims in Iran.
“Even well into the 21st Century, traditional forms of anti-Semitism, such as conspiracy theories, use of the discredited myth of ‘blood libel’ and cartoons demonizing Jews continued to flourish,” the report said.
To Learn More:
International Religious Freedom Report for 2012 (U.S. Department of State)
7 Foundations Spent $42 Million to Spread Fear of Muslims in U.S. (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
Almost Half of Hate Crime Victims are Still Black or Jewish (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Jews and Muslims Unite for Obama (AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Director of the Domestic Nuclear Detection Office: Who Is L. Wayne Brasure?
- Delegated Director, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Who Is Kana Enomoto?
- For Donald Trump, the Honeymoon was Over Before It Even Began
- Acting Director of the Indian Health Service: Who Is Mary L. Smith?
- Director of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Who Is Andrew Bindman?