Global Increase in Bigotry against Jews and Muslims
Hatred towards Muslims and Jews increased last year, according to an annual report from the State Department.
The International Religious Freedom Report quoted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi, who praised comments by a religious leader calling for Allah to “destroy the Jews and their supporters.”
In Venezuela, state-controlled media published multiple anti-Semitic remarks, including opposition to a Catholic presidential candidate with Jewish roots.
There also were reports of violence against Shia and Ahmadi Muslims in Pakistan, discrimination against non-Sunni Muslims in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, as well as harassment and arrests of Sunni Muslims in Iran.
“Even well into the 21st Century, traditional forms of anti-Semitism, such as conspiracy theories, use of the discredited myth of ‘blood libel’ and cartoons demonizing Jews continued to flourish,” the report said.
To Learn More:
International Religious Freedom Report for 2012 (U.S. Department of State)
7 Foundations Spent $42 Million to Spread Fear of Muslims in U.S. (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
Almost Half of Hate Crime Victims are Still Black or Jewish (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Jews and Muslims Unite for Obama (AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Vice Chair of the United States-China Economic and Security Review Commission: Who Is Dennis Shea?
- Chair of the State Justice Institute: Who Is Chase Rogers?
- Acting Chair of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights: Who Is Patricia Timmons-Goodson?
- Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration: Who Is Scott Gottlieb?
- Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims: Who Is Robert N. Davis?