More Americans Support Bernie Sanders than Donald Trump, but Trump Gets 23 Times as much TV Coverage
Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) is right there with Donald Trump in terms of political support, but you wouldn’t know it from the enormous gulf in media coverage between the two presidential candidates.
First, to the polling: RealClearPolitics (RCP) crunched data from some of the biggest polling groups, such as NBC/Wall Street Journal and CBS/New York Times.
RCP’s average showed Sanders with 32.2% support among voters, and Trump with just slightly more at 33%. But Gallup’s party affiliation numbers showed 44% of those surveyed identify with Democrats, compared to 42% of Republicans, giving a bit more weight to the Sanders supporters.
Now, on to the media attention …
Media Matters for America reported that Trump in 2015 had received 234 minutes of coverage among NBC, CBS and ABC evening news broadcasts, while Sanders got only 10 minutes of coverage from the Big Three. ABC gave Sanders the least amount of time, with only 20 seconds of stories broadcast about the Sanders campaign on World News Tonight. Those figures don’t include reports about events such as debates in which all candidates participate.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, Steve Straehley
To Learn More:
Polls: 2016 Democratic Presidential Nomination (RealClearPolitics)
Polls: 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination (RealClearPolitics)
Report: ABC World News Tonight Has Devoted 81 Minutes to Trump, One Minute to Sanders (Media Matters for America)
Fox News Tries to Hijack Republican Primary; Pushes Trump Most, Followed by Huckabee, Perry and Jindal (by Noel Brinkerhoff and Steve Straehley, AllGov)
Trump Wins the Summer Soap Opera, While Favorites Bush, Walker and Rubio Wait in the Wings (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- President-CEO of the Inter-American Foundation: Who Is Robert Kaplan?
- Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness: Who Is Matthew Doherty?
- Co-Chair of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board: Who is Shirley Ann Jackson?
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?
- Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Who Is Melissa Rogers?