U.S. Regulators Refuse to Release Spill Hazard Estimates for Pipeline from Canada
Wednesday, February 09, 2011
(photo: Thomas Hawk)
The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) is coming under criticism for not releasing a Canadian company’s plans for managing oil spills and estimating a worst-case scenario in the event its pipeline burst in the United States.
The controversy arose after an advocacy group, Plains Justice, filed a Freedom of Information Act request with PHMSA to obtain emergency response plans filed by Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, operators of the Express Pipeline System that carries crude oil from western Canada’s oil-sands region across six U.S. states.
Plains Justice insists the federal agency is being overly secretive with the response plans of Kinder Morgan. It likened PHMSA’s actions to the federal office that regulates offshore oil drilling, arguing: would it be acceptable for the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement to withhold from the public BP’s emergency planning, given what took place last year in the Gulf of Mexico?
PHMSA officials have been accused before of shielding pipeline operators’ emergency response plans. Last year, the agency’s head, Cynthia Quarterman, told Rep. Ed Markey (D-California) that oil spill plans “have not been made public for no particular reason.”
Regulators Shield Spill-Response Info on Oil-Sands Pipeline From Public View (by Elana Schor, Greenwire-New York Times)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- NSA’s Chief Technical Officer Cleared to Moonlight for Private Firm Founded by Former NSA Director Keith Alexander
- Report Shows Voter ID Laws Cut Participation in 2012 Election in Kansas and Tennessee
- The Key to U.S. Income Statistics: Average Family Income is Growing; Median Family Income is Falling
- Honda Accused of Hiding Death and Injury Claims
- Acting Director of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Who Is David Friedman?