Pennsylvania Fracking Companies Flaunt Environmental Rules and Regulations…Every Day
Violating health and safety laws is a daily occurrence for fracking companies in Pennsylvania, according to a new report (pdf) from environmentalists.
Environment America says drillers broke public health and environment regulations “on virtually a daily basis” over the period from January 2011 to August 2014. The largest 20 frackers averaged more than 1.5 violations a day, with many racking up hundreds of violations.
Leading the way was Cabot Oil & Gas Corp. with 265 no-no’s and Chesapeake Appalachia LLC with 253. Four other companies compiled more than a hundred violations each: Range Resources Appalachia LLC (174), Chief Oil & Gas LLC (150), Swepi LP (119) and XTO Energy Inc. (113).
Some of the violations included allowing toxic chemicals to flow off drilling sites and into local soil and water; endangering drinking water through improper well construction; and dumping industrial waste into local waterways.
The report noted that the numbers collected are probably on the low side “because of Pennsylvania’s consistent pattern of conducting fewer inspections than state rules require, and because inspectors regularly decline to issue violation notices when companies voluntarily agree to fix problems.”
To Learn More:
Fracking Failures (Environment America) (pdf)
Fracking Company in Pennsylvania Offers Residents $50,000 Each to Promise not to Sue about Anything (by Noel Brinkerhoff and Danny Biederman, AllGov)
Pennsylvania Health Dept. Accused of Ordering Employees to not Speak to Residents who Complained about Fracking (by Steve Straehley, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Thousands of At-Risk Afghan Translators Who Aided U.S. Military Must Rely on Trump for Visas for U.S. Sanctuary
- California Lawmakers to Enact Sweeping Laws to Resist Trump’s Mass Immigrant Deportation Threats
- Decades-Long Trend of Rising Life Expectancy in U.S. Undergoes Mysterious Reversal
- Fake U.S. Embassy Operated for 10 Years in Ghana
- Marshall Islands’ Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Gerald Zackios?