More than 700 Chefs and Restaurant Owners Push Congress to Label Genetically Modified Foods
Hundreds of chefs from around the United States have banded together to demand that Congress require labels on food containing genetically modified organisms (GMO).
Approximately 700 chefs signed a petition given to lawmakers that supports a bill mandating GMO labeling. The legislation, introduced by Senator Barbara Boxer (D-California) and Representative Peter DeFazio (D-Oregon), would also block attempts at the federal level to undermine state efforts to require labeling for GMO foods.
The chefs signing the petition include Tom Colicchio, José Andrés, Art Smith and Sam Talbot. Others helping to lobby Congress were Morgan L'Esperance, Kyle Bailey, Danielle Vogel, Brad Race, Travis Olson, Alex Young, Cathal Armstrong, Luke Zahm, Scott Drewno, William Dissen, Michel Nischan, Andrea Reusing, Hugh Acheson, Jamie Leeds, Brian Johnson, Micheline Mendelsohn, Blake Backman and Cathy Whims.
The petition states: “As chefs, we know that choosing the right ingredients is an absolutely critical part of cooking. But when it comes to whether our ingredients contain genetically modified organisms, we're in the dark. It’s time for Congress to move us forward, not backward, when it comes to our right to know what’s in our food.”
Violet Batcha, communications and social media manager for Just Label It, said polls show 93% of Americans support transparency efforts to expose which food products contain GMOs.
To Learn More:
Out of the Kitchen and On Capitol Hill: Chefs Speak Out for GMO Labeling (by Deirdre Fulton, Common Dreams)
Prominent Chefs Serve Up a Message to Congress: Label GMOs (Environmental Working Group)
Americans Overwhelmingly Want GMO Labeling…Until Big Companies Pour Money into Election Campaigns (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Big Food Companies Push to Label Genetically Modified Products as “Natural” (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Percentage of Insured Americans and Access to Doctors Worse than Nearly All Other Industrialized Nations
- Bar Association’s Report on Trump’s Use of Libel Suits to Silence Critics is shelved out of Fear of Trump Lawsuit
- FBI, 80% of Its Agents White and Male, Loses Women and Minorities from Top Ranks
- Justice Dept. Moves to Disband Arizona Police Force with Ties to Discriminatory Church
- Cigarette Smoking is linked to 25% of All Cancer Deaths in U.S.