“Model” Private Prison Slammed for Poor Conditions
When one of the nation’s largest private prison operators agreed two years ago to take over an Ohio penitentiary, it promised to make it a model for how the private sector could handle state corrections.
Government inspectors in September reported unsafe and unsanitary conditions at the prison, including inmates lacking immediate access to running water and toilets. There also were reports of prisoners having to use plastic bags for defecation and cups for urination. The inspectors also reported padlocked fire exits, likely falsification of food service records and a failure to monitor “pill call” when prisoners receive medications.
In addition, prisoners complained about problems with gangs and assaults within the prison, which has experienced a 20% turnover among staff and a 21% increase in violent attacks since CCA took over.
The state has fined the company nearly half a million dollars for the many problems at the facility. A follow-up report commended CCA for fixing many of the deficiencies cited in the initial audit.
CCA purchased the Lake Erie Correctional Institution, which is located just east of Cleveland, for $72.7 million at the end of 2011 in exchange for a guarantee of a 90% occupancy rate.
To Learn More:
Auditors Uncover Problems At Private Prisons In Ohio (by Laura A. Bischoff, Dayton Daily News)
Lake Erie Correctional Institution, Ohio Private Prison, Faces Concerns About 'Unacceptable' Conditions (by Chris Kirkham, Huffington Post)
2012 Full Internal Management Audit Report (Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction) (pdf)
Texas Pays for Private Prisons while Thousands of Beds in Public Prisons are Empty (by Matt Bewig, AllGov)
Private Prison Company to Demand 90% Occupancy (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Majority of Federal Appeals Court Judges Appointed by Democratic Presidents for First Time in more than 10 Years
- The Mysterious Case of the Obama Administration Claiming State-Secrets Privilege in a Private Defamation Lawsuit
- Obama Administration and EU Threaten Shutdown of ExxonMobil’s Drilling in Russian Arctic
- Fewer Workers Die on the Job…Except Latinos
- Is an Arkansas Republican Responsible for Spread of Ebola and did a Democrat Vote to Give Social Security Benefits to Illegal Immigrants? Of Course not…except in Campaign Ads