ATF Proposes Ban on Previously Exempted Armor-Piercing Bullets
Gun enthusiasts are outraged by a federal proposal to ban a type of armor-piercing bullets capable of penetrating ballistic vests worn by law enforcement officers now that the rounds can be used in handguns.
Varieties of 5.56 mm rounds with metal cores that are commonly used in AR-15 assault rifles, the civilian equivalent of the military M-16, would be prohibited under new rules crafted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). Ammunition makers would be barred from producing, selling, importing or distributing the rounds. However, individuals already owning the ammunition would be allowed to continue to legally own it, according to the Associated Press.
Armor-piercing handgun ammunition has been outlawed since 1986 under the federal Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act (pdf) to help protect police officers, but the ammunition in question was exempted because it was used for sport shooting in assault rifles. Now that there are handguns capable of using the rounds, the ATF is considering a ban on the ammunition.
To Learn More:
U.S. Considers Banning Type of Popular Rifle Ammunition (by Alicia Caldwell, Associated Press)
What AR-15 Ammo Is in the BATFE’s Crosshairs and Why (by Joe Songer, AL.com)
ATF Framework for Determining Whether Certain Projectiles Are “Primarily Intended for Sporting Purposes” within the Meaning of 18 U.S.C. 921(A)(17)(C) (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) (pdf)
The White House Blatantly LIED to the Press Corps about M855 Ammunition. Here’s Why It Matters. (by Bob Owens, Bearing Arms)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Thousands of At-Risk Afghan Translators Who Aided U.S. Military Must Rely on Trump for Visas for U.S. Sanctuary
- California Lawmakers to Enact Sweeping Laws to Resist Trump’s Mass Immigrant Deportation Threats
- Decades-Long Trend of Rising Life Expectancy in U.S. Undergoes Mysterious Reversal
- Fake U.S. Embassy Operated for 10 Years in Ghana
- Marshall Islands’ Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Gerald Zackios?