Asbestos Found in Chinese-Made Crayons
American children have been exposed to asbestos-containing crayons made in China, according to tests performed for an environmental group.
The Environmental Working Group Action Fund (EWG) says four brands of crayons, as well as two kinds of crime scene fingerprint kits made for kids, contain levels of asbestos, putting children who have used these products at risk with their health.
Laboratory testing commissioned by EWG showed the following products have asbestos, a carcinogen that kills up to 15,000 Americans each year:
Disney Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Crayons
Saban’s Power Rangers Super Megaforce
EduScience Deluxe Forensics Lab Kit
Inside Intelligence Secret Spy Kit
The presence of asbestos in the crayons and kits is “scary,” according to EWG, because “a child exposed to asbestos is 3.5 [times] more likely than a 25-year-old to develop mesothelioma, a lung disease, that is only caused by asbestos, because of the long lag time between exposure and diagnosis.” EWG based this on information reported by the U.K. Committee on Carcinogenicity.
“In the case of the crime scene kits, people could inhale airborne asbestos fibers,” EWG warned, due to the fact the kits use powders that children are instructed to remove by blowing on it.
EWG said this is the third time in 15 years that asbestos has been found in these kinds of children’s products.
To Learn More:
Tests Find Asbestos in Kids’ Crayons, Crime Scene Kits (Asbestos Nation)
Asbestos Found in Imported Crayons and Toy Fingerprint Kits (by Myron Levin and Stuart Silverstein, FAIR Warning)
Group Finds Asbestos In Children's Crayons, Toy Crime Lab Kits (by Liza Lucas, CNN)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Chair of the Intelligence Oversight Board: Who is Neil Wolin?
- President-CEO of the Inter-American Foundation: Who Is Robert Kaplan?
- Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness: Who Is Matthew Doherty?
- Co-Chair of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board: Who is Shirley Ann Jackson?
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?