9-Member Postal Service Board of Governors Down to One Member
The board is supposed to have nine governors appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate, but Chairman James Bilbray is the only confirmed member. Postmaster General Megan Brennan and her deputy are also members.
President Barack Obama has nominated five governors, and they’ve been approved in committee, but the full Senate can’t confirm them because Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) is holding them up “over concerns that they plan to further degrade postal services,” Government Executive reported. Some of those awaiting confirmations are not new governors, “but have instead been re-nominated after already serving in the positions,” Eric Katz wrote.
The board lost its ability to field a quorum last year when it had just three confirmed members, forcing it to use a “temporary emergency committee.” But even that committee is down to only Bilbray.
Senator Tom Carper (D-Delaware), a postal advocate and author of a bill to overhaul the agency, criticized Congress for not confirming governors to the board since 2010. “This is negligence on the part of Congress,” Carper said. “This would never occur in the private sector because shareholders would demand oversight from a strong board to protect their investment. Congress has failed to protect postal customers.”
To Learn More:
The USPS Governing Board Now Has Just One Confirmed Member (by Eric Katz, Government Executive)
Senate on the Verge of yet another Attack on the Postal System (by Steve Straehley and Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness: Who Is Matthew Doherty?
- Co-Chair of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board: Who is Shirley Ann Jackson?
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?
- Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Who Is Melissa Rogers?
- Principal Deputy Director of the United States Mint: Who Is Rhett Jeppson?