Andorra’s Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Elisenda Vives Balmaña?
Elisenda Vives Balmaña presented her credentials as Andorra’s ambassador to the United States on March 2, 2016. Vives Balmaña is also credentialed to Canada and Mexico and is her country’s permanent representative to the United Nations as well.
Vives Balmaña was born in Barcelona, Spain. She earned a bachelor’s degree in philosophy from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona and later received a doctorate in history from that school. She also earned a master’s in East Asian studies from Universitat Oberta de Catalunya and a postgraduate degree in law from Universitat d’Andorra.
Vives Balmaña was a teacher early in her career, working as a professor of geography and history. In 1987, she joined Andorra’s Department of Cultural Heritage. She became a desk officer for the Community of Labor in the Pyrenees in 1992. In 1998, she became director of Andorra’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Two years later, she was named ambassador to Italy and Morocco. In 2001, Vives Balmaña was named head of protocol and administrative affairs for the Conseil General, the country’s legislature, a position she held until 2015. In 2012, she also took on the presidency of the Andorran National Commission for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
Vives Balmaña was named Andorra’s representative to the United Nations in 2015 and added the U.S., Canada and Mexico to her portfolio the following year.
Vives Balmaña is married to Eudald Guillamet Anton. She speaks English, Catlan, Spanish and French.
To Learn More:
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Principal Deputy Director of the United States Mint: Who Is Rhett Jeppson?
- Coordinator of the Bureau of International Information Programs: Who is Macon Phillips?
- Acting Under Secretary of the Veterans Benefits Administration: Who Is Tom Murphy?
- Director of the American Institute in Taiwan: Who is Kin Moy?
- Acting Under Secretary of the National Cemetery Administration: Who Is Ronald Walters?