Ambassador from Marshall Islands: Who is Banny deBrum?
Monday, March 14, 2011
Banny deBrum has served as ambassador from the Marshall Islands to the United States since 1996, except for a 20-month period in 2008-2009.
DeBrum graduated from Xavier High School in Micronesia in 1977, and Regis University, a Jesuit institution in Denver, Colorado, with a Bachelor of Arts in sociology in 1981.
In 1987, he became deputy chief of mission in the Marshall Islands embassy in Washington. Eight years later he was elevated to chargé d’affaires when then-Ambassador Wilfred Kendall resigned to seek a seat in parliament.
After serving as ambassador to the U.S. for more than 11 years, deBrum was removed from the position in January 2008 when a new government took power. He was reappointed in September 2009.
DeBrum’s career has included serving as acting permanent representative in the absence of the Marshall Islands ambassador to the United Nations. He has also served as ambassador to Canada since June 29, 1999.
Since 1994, he has served as chairman of the Washington Pacific Committee, composed of representatives of Pacific embassies. The committee promotes regional, political and cultural interests in Washington D.C. In February 2009, deBrum was appointed the high steward of Euclid University, a distance learning organization founded in the Central African Republic.
DeBrum is married to Honor deBrum.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
Biography (Department of Energy) (pdf)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness: Who Is Matthew Doherty?
- Co-Chair of the President's Intelligence Advisory Board: Who is Shirley Ann Jackson?
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?
- Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Who Is Melissa Rogers?
- Principal Deputy Director of the United States Mint: Who Is Rhett Jeppson?