Stunning Cost Overruns in Weapons Development Programs
Had Benjamin Franklin ever served as Secretary of Defense, he might well have added “cost overruns” to his now famous adage about “nothing is certain but death and taxes,” given how predictable the Pentagon has become in going over budget with weapons programs. The latest report by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) on the Defense Department’s spending habits reveals, yet again, that of nearly a hundred programs totaling more than a trillion dollars, more than 70% are behind schedule, incurring added costs and forcing military planners to downsize their orders (also yet again).
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Gov. Cuomo Bans Fracking in New York
- Obama Bans Oil Drilling in Alaskan Bay that Produces 40% of Wild-Caught Seafood in U.S.
- Federal Grand Jury Indicts Owners of Chemical Company that Contaminated West Virginia Water
- Education Dept. Approves Sale of Failing For-Profit Colleges to Debt Collection Company
- New Law School Enrollment Continues to Plunge…to 41-Year Low