1,024 of 1,031 Highest Paid Federal Employees are VA Doctors
Of the top 1,031 highest salaries in federal service, 1,024 belong to “medical officers” employed by the Veterans Health Administration. Leading the way among those physicians is Dr. Thomas Burdon, a specialist in thoracic surgery based in Palo Alto, California, who makes $402,462 a year. The next highest paid is Dr. Thomas Cacciarelli in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, who makes $873 less.
Government Executive reported that more than 16,900 federal employees made more than $200,000 in base salary last year. The database does not include the salaries of Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, according to Government Executive.
However, the three best-paid DOD personnel aren’t generals, admirals or anything like that. They’re football coaches. Army’s Jeff Monken tops the list with a guaranteed income of $1,680,000 in 2014, according to a survey by Newsday. He’s followed by Navy’s Ken Niumatalolo at $1,574,809 and Air Force’s Troy Calhoun at “only” $825,000.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, Steve Straehley
To Learn More:
17,000 Federal Employees Earned More Than $200K Last Year (by Eric Katz, Government Executive)
Dr. Thomas A Burdon MD (Vitals.com)
College Football Coaches Salaries (Newsday)
Doctors Overwhelmingly Dominate Top Federal Salaries List (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Half of All American Adults are in a Police Facial Recognition Database
- Justice Dept. to Dispatch Fewer Election Observers Due to Supreme Court Gutting of Voting Rights Act
- Claims of Falsified Patient Wait Lists at Colorado V.A. to Be Investigated by Federal Government
- Americans Backing Marijuana Legalization Hits 60% Record High
- St. Louis Medical School Ends Controversial Use of Sedated Cats in Neonatal Training