Federal Government Charges Researchers with Using U.S. Grant to Help Chinese Commercial Spying
Three Chinese researchers at New York University Medical School have been charged with helping funnel confidential MRI technology to a government–sponsored corporation in China.
A federal prosecutor in New York accused Yudong Zhu, Xing Yang and Ye Li, all of whom are Chinese citizens, of accepting bribes from a Chinese medical imaging company, United Imaging, and SIAT, a Chinese-sponsored research institute. In exchange for the money, the three shared nonpublic information about their NYU work. It is thought that Ye returned to China before she was charged.
Zhu also faces one charge of falsifying records.
Zhu, an associate professor of radiology since 2008 at NYU, allegedly “provided false statements regarding his affiliation with a Chinese government-sponsored research institution, a Chinese medical imaging company, and his application for and ownership of a patent that related to the research being funded by NIH [National Institutes of Health],” the complaint states.
Both Zhu and Yang previously worked together in China for an international company on matters related to MRI technology.
To Learn More:
China Used U.S. Tax Money for High-Tech Biz Spies, Feds Say (by Kevin Koeninger, Courthouse News Service)
3 N.Y.U. Scientists Accepted Bribes From China, U.S. Says (by Benjamin Weiser, New York Times)
United States v. Yudong Zhu (U.S. District Court, Southern New York) (pdf)
China and Russia Lead in Stealing U.S. Economic Secrets (by Noel Brinkerhoff and David Wallechinsky, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Managing Director of the Council on Environmental Quality: Who Is Christy Goldfuss?
- Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Who Is Melissa Rogers?
- Principal Deputy Director of the United States Mint: Who Is Rhett Jeppson?
- Coordinator of the Bureau of International Information Programs: Who is Macon Phillips?
- Acting Under Secretary of the Veterans Benefits Administration: Who Is Tom Murphy?