Texas Leads States Petitioning to Secede; Georgia and Louisiana Follow
The American South still has not lost its taste for secession. Just ask Texas, Louisiana, and Georgia.
A petition on a White House website (“We the People”) calling for Texas to withdraw from the United States and create its own new government had collected more than 94,000 signatures as of November 14.
This total was by far the largest number of signatures collected among various secessionist petitions on We the People.
A similar petition advocating for Louisiana to go its own way had collected more than 32,000 supporters, while three petitions (two in upper-case and one in lower-case) seeking Georgia’s withdrawal from the union had gathered combined signatures of more than 42,000.
The Texas petition went up only last week on November 9, and within three days had collected more than 25,000 signatures—the benchmark at which the White House usually issues a public response to any petition that goes up on the website. So far President Barack Obama has not publicly addressed the matter of the Lone Star State’s secession.
At least 30 other states have secession petitions on We the People, including Florida (more than 28,000 signatures), Alabama (26,000), Tennessee (25,000, North Carolina (25,000), Oklahoma (22,000), South Carolina (19,000), Arkansas (18,000), Colorado (17,000), Arizona (17,000), Indiana (16,000), Pennsylvania (16,000), Kentucky (15,000), Mississippi (15,000), Ohio (14,000), Missouri (12,000), New Jersey (11,000), Montana (11,000), Utah (11,000) and California (10,000).
Another petition to strip the citizenship of everyone who signs a secession petition and exile them from the country had only gathered more than 8,000 signatures as of Wednesday morning.
-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky
To Learn More:
Texas Petition to Secede Reaches Threshold for Obama Comment (by Sarah Parnass, ABC News)
Petitions (White House) (click on Filter by Issue/Government Reform)
10 Most Popular Unanswered Petitions to the White House (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Top 10 Suggestions from American People to President Obama (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Obama Administration Releases Heavily Censored Version of 6-Year-Old Secret Report Casting Doubt on Legality and Effectiveness of Bush’s Warrantless Spying
- Who are the 8 Americans Killed by Drone Strikes?
- What Happened to $1.3 Billion of Taxpayer Money Sent Directly to U.S. Military Officers in Afghanistan? Pentagon won’t Say
- Wildlife Services Killed more than 2.7 Million Animals Last Year
- Sen. Inhofe Goes for Hypocrisy Record, Saying Climate Change is a Hoax, but Nuclear Power is Good because it Avoids “Dangerous Climate Change”