Democrats Beat Republicans in Landslide … When Rating Their Supporters’ Grammar Skills
It’s no contest when comparing the grammar skills of Democrats and Republicans, according to Grammarly.
After analyzing the spelling and grammar of comments on each presidential candidate’s Facebook page, Grammarly, which markets a grammar-checking app, concluded Republican supporters made more than twice as many mistakes as Democratic supporters. For every 100 words written, the average Democratic supporter made 4.2 mistakes, while the average Republican backer made 8.7 errors.
Grammarly also found that Democrats used 300 unique words for every 1,000 words they wrote, compared to Republicans, who used only 245 unique words for every 1,000. The implication is that Democrats have larger vocabularies.
Among the candidates, supporters of Democrat Lincoln Chafee had the lowest rate of mistakes (3.1 per 100 words), while those backing Donald Trump had the highest rate of mistakes (12.6).
After Chafee came those supporting Democrats Jim Webb, Bernie Sanders and Martin O’Malley. Hillary Clinton’s supporters were tied with Republican Carly Fiorina’s in fifth place at 6.3 mistakes per 100 words. The supporters of GOP candidates Ben Carson, Lindsey Graham, George Pataki and Ted Cruz followed.
To Learn More:
New Analysis Ranks Presidential Candidates by Their Supporters’ Grammar (by Emily Atkin, ThinkProgress)
Democrats Crush Republicans in Grammar; Chafee on Top (by Paul Singer, USA Today)
Grammarly Presidential Candidates Study (Grammarly)
Trump Supporters Make Twice as many Grammar Errors as Fiorina Supporters (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Director of the Domestic Nuclear Detection Office: Who Is L. Wayne Brasure?
- Delegated Director, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Who Is Kana Enomoto?
- For Donald Trump, the Honeymoon was Over Before It Even Began
- Acting Director of the Indian Health Service: Who Is Mary L. Smith?
- Director of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Who Is Andrew Bindman?