Military Deaths in Afghanistan under Obama Top Those under Bush
In less than two years, the United States has suffered more combat deaths in Afghanistan under President Barack Obama than it did during the two-term presidency of George W. Bush. The latest casualty figures show 577 American soldiers have died in the war from January 20, 2009, the date of Obama’s inauguration, until now. The U.S. suffered 575 deaths from October 2001 to January 19, 2009, according to figures computed by Robert Naiman, of Just Foreign Policy from figures provided by icasualties.org. Three U.S. deaths on August 17 put the Obama total ahead of the Bush total. The names of the three have not yet been released, pending notification of next of kin.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Congress Takes 5 Weeks Off, Works for 8 Days and Takes another 8 Weeks Off
- Appeals Court Throws Out Child Porn Conviction over Illegal Navy Surveillance of Private Citizens
- Prosecutions for Environmental Crimes Decline under Obama
- Secret Donors have Spent more than $60 Million on Current Election Campaign
- Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy: Who Is Michael Botticelli?