Military Deaths in Afghanistan under Obama Top Those under Bush
In less than two years, the United States has suffered more combat deaths in Afghanistan under President Barack Obama than it did during the two-term presidency of George W. Bush. The latest casualty figures show 577 American soldiers have died in the war from January 20, 2009, the date of Obama’s inauguration, until now. The U.S. suffered 575 deaths from October 2001 to January 19, 2009, according to figures computed by Robert Naiman, of Just Foreign Policy from figures provided by icasualties.org. Three U.S. deaths on August 17 put the Obama total ahead of the Bush total. The names of the three have not yet been released, pending notification of next of kin.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- European Court Cites Privacy Concerns in Blocking Transatlantic Online Data Flow
- Valeant Leads Big Pharma Trend of Skyrocketing Drug Prices
- Virginia Republicans Argue Gerrymandered Districts Should Stay because they are Pro-Republican rather than Racially-Motivated
- Minorities and Unemployed Wait the Longest and Travel the Farthest for Health Care
- Least Satisfied Federal Workers? African Development Foundation and Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board