Military Deaths in Afghanistan under Obama Top Those under Bush
In less than two years, the United States has suffered more combat deaths in Afghanistan under President Barack Obama than it did during the two-term presidency of George W. Bush. The latest casualty figures show 577 American soldiers have died in the war from January 20, 2009, the date of Obama’s inauguration, until now. The U.S. suffered 575 deaths from October 2001 to January 19, 2009, according to figures computed by Robert Naiman, of Just Foreign Policy from figures provided by icasualties.org. Three U.S. deaths on August 17 put the Obama total ahead of the Bush total. The names of the three have not yet been released, pending notification of next of kin.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- It Looks like Obama is Still Using “Signature Strikes” Aimed at Unnamed People After All
- Chinese Scientists Cause Alarm after Announcing Editing of Human Genes
- Native American Actors Walk off Set of Adam Sandler/Netflix Movie in Protest of Insulting Script
- Switzerland Wins Happiest Country Ranking; U.S. 15th of 158
- U.S. Ambassador to Yemen: Who Is Matthew Tueller?