Majority of Senators Now Support Same-Sex Marriage
So many members of the U.S. Senate have jumped on the same-sex marriage bandwagon in recent weeks that a majority now supports the right of homosexuals to marry.
This week alone three Democratic senators publicly said they now back gay marriage: Bill Nelson of Florida, Joe Donnelly of Indiana and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.
Nelson told the Tampa Bay Times: “Simply put, if The Lord made homosexuals as well as heterosexuals, why should I discriminate against their civil marriage? I shouldn’t, and I won’t.”
Before Nelson, Donnelly and Heitkamp changed their positions, six other Democratic senators had also switched sides recently: Tom Carper of Delaware, Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, Kay Hagan of North Carolina, Jon Tester of Montana, Mark Warner of Virginia and Claire McCaskill of Missouri.
In addition, Republican Mark Kirk of Illinois also came out in support of gay marriage.
Experts attribute the change of position to lawmakers getting in line with the public’s support for gay marriage, with recent polls showing a majority of Americans now in favor of gays and lesbians tying the knot.
Only four Democratic senators still oppose gay marriage: Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Mark Pryor of Arkansas and Tim Johnson of South Dakota.
To Learn More:
It's Getting Mighty Lonely For the Four Senate Democrats Who Still Oppose Gay Marriage (by Josh Voorhees, Slate)
Bill Nelson Now Endorses Gay Marriage (by Alex Rogers, Time)
Bill Nelson Says Gay Marriage Should Be Left to the States (by Steve Rothaus, Miami Herald)
Explaining the Senate’s Surge in Support for Same-Sex Marriage (by Nate Silver, New York Times)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Director of the Domestic Nuclear Detection Office: Who Is L. Wayne Brasure?
- Delegated Director, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Who Is Kana Enomoto?
- For Donald Trump, the Honeymoon was Over Before It Even Began
- Acting Director of the Indian Health Service: Who Is Mary L. Smith?
- Director of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Who Is Andrew Bindman?