For the First Time, a Majority of Americans Say that Same-Sex Marriage should be Legal
Support for same-sex marriages has reached a new high point in the United States, where a majority of Americans for the first time endorse such unions.
A new Washington Post-ABC News poll (pdf) found that 58% back same-sex marriages, which represents quite a change from only three years ago when opponents still outnumbered supporters on the issue.
The shift in support occurred in part because of a change of opinion among some conservatives.
A slim majority of Republicans and GOP-leaning independents under the age of 50 now support gay marriages, according to the survey.
However, the majority of Republicans as a whole continue to oppose the marriages. Indeed, the Republican Party platform for the 2012 election called for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.
Support is especially strong among young people, with 81% of adults age 18 to 29 favoring the idea of homosexuals tying the knot.
Same-sex marriage is currently legal in nine states and the District of Columbia. The U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments on the issue next week.
To Learn More:
Support for Same-Sex Marriage Reaches All-Time High, Poll Finds (by David A. Fahrenthold and Jon Cohen, Washington Post)
Gay Marriage Support Hits New High in Post-ABC Poll (by Jon Cohen, Washington Post)
Poll Tracks Dramatic Rise In Support for Gay Marriage (Langer Research) (pdf)
Ban on Gay Marriage Led Lawyers to Shift Role (by Adam Liptak, New York Times)
Straight Couples Use Gay Marriage Loophole in France and Austria (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Census Will Include Same-Sex Marriages for First Time (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Gay Marriage is Good for the Economy: Update (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Percentage of Insured Americans and Access to Doctors Worse than Nearly All Other Industrialized Nations
- Bar Association’s Report on Trump’s Use of Libel Suits to Silence Critics is shelved out of Fear of Trump Lawsuit
- FBI, 80% of Its Agents White and Male, Loses Women and Minorities from Top Ranks
- Justice Dept. Moves to Disband Arizona Police Force with Ties to Discriminatory Church
- Cigarette Smoking is linked to 25% of All Cancer Deaths in U.S.