Does U.S. Government Have the Right to Assassinate Its Citizens on U.S. Soil? Leaders Won’t Say
President Barack Obama and his choice to run the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) have been asked repeatedly in recent weeks if they believe the government has the authority to kill Americans suspected of terrorist involvement on U.S. soil.
But neither Obama nor CIA director-in-waiting John Brennan will answer the question.
During his confirmation hearings in the Senate, senators have pointedly asked Brennan just how far the administration can go with executing U.S. citizens, which can be done overseas according to a legal opinion from the U.S. Department of Justice. Brennan, however, has dodged the questions each time.
In one instance, he was asked: “Could the administration carry out drone strikes inside the United States?”
Brennan’s response was: “This Administration has not carried out drone strikes inside the United States and has no intention of doing so.”
When asked to describe the “geographic limits” on U.S. drone strikes, Brennan replied that the administration does not see its authority “limited to ‘hot’ battlefields like Afghanistan.”
When President Obama was asked if drone strikes could be used against U.S. citizens within the U.S., his reply was as evasive as Brennan’s: There “has never been a drone used on an American citizen on American soil.”
-Noel Brinkerhoff, Danny Biederman
To Learn More:
Obama Officials Refuse to Say if Assassination Power Extends to US Soil (by Glenn Greenwald, The Guardian)
White House Tactic for C.I.A. Bid Holds Back Drone Memos (by Scott Shane and Mark Mazzetti, New York Times)
Secret U.S. Government Memo Justifies Assassinations of American Citizens (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Holder’s Rationale for Killing Americans is Full of Holes (by David Wallechinsky and Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Majority of Federal Appeals Court Judges Appointed by Democratic Presidents for First Time in more than 10 Years
- The Mysterious Case of the Obama Administration Claiming State-Secrets Privilege in a Private Defamation Lawsuit
- Obama Administration and EU Threaten Shutdown of ExxonMobil’s Drilling in Russian Arctic
- Fewer Workers Die on the Job…Except Latinos
- Is an Arkansas Republican Responsible for Spread of Ebola and did a Democrat Vote to Give Social Security Benefits to Illegal Immigrants? Of Course not…except in Campaign Ads