Terrorists, Spies, Whistleblowers Treated the Same by Obama Administration
The Obama administration has quietly developed a new policy addressing threats to the nation that lumps whistleblowers in with terrorists and spies.
Labeled “insider threats,” government workers who leak classified information are now in the same camp as anyone committing espionage or terrorism against the U.S.
According to the National Insider Threat Policy, an insider threat is anyone who “will use his/her authorized access, wittingly or unwittingly, to do harm to the security of the United States. This threat can include damage to the United States through espionage, terrorism, [or] unauthorized disclosure of national security information.”
Steven Aftergood at Secrecy News wrote: “One of the implications of aggregating spies, terrorists and leakers in a single category is that the nation’s spy-hunters and counterterrorism specialists can now be trained upon those who are suspected of leaking classified information.”
The policy instructs agency directors to grant insider threat program personnel access to “all relevant databases and files” needed to identify, analyze, and resolve insider threat matters.
To Learn More:
Insider Threat Policy Equates Leakers, Spies, Terrorists (by Steven Aftergood, Secrecy News)
National Insider Threat Policy (White House)
Obama Anti-Whistleblower Program Requires Federal Employees to Report Suspicions of other Employees or Risk Punishment (by Noel Brinkerhoff and Danny Biederman, AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- EPA Waited 7 Months Too Long to Declare Emergency in Flint Water Crisis, Claims Report
- Debate over Conspiracy as War Crime Casts Shadow across Guantánamo Detainee Conviction
- Most of Syrian Refugees Arriving in U.S. are Children
- Mexican Peso Taken on Wild Ride during U.S. Presidential Campaign
- Kansas Voter ID Requirement Violates Law, Rules Court