Food Stamp Use by Military Families on the Rise
Military families outpaced the rest of the country in using food stamps last year by a considerable margin, according to the Department of Defense. From 2007 to 2008, the use of food stamps by military personnel and their dependants increased 25%, while Americans overall turned to the assistance 13% more. Reliance on food stamps by military families had been declining, dropping 5% from 2006 to 2007.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Because Homeland Security Allows Chemical Plants to Self-Report Toxic Releases, 44% are Wrong
- 700,000 U.S. Seniors Owe $18 Billion in Student Debt; Fed Taps Retirees’ Social Security Checks
- Prosecutions of White-Collar Crimes Drop to Lowest in at Least 20 Years
- As Economy Improves, Army has Trouble Meeting Recruiting Goals…and so Does FBI
- Bureau of Prisons Agrees to Recognize Humanism as a Religion, Darwin Day as a Holiday