Under Secretary of Energy for Science: Who is Steven Koonin?
The choice of Steven E. Koonin, a longtime physics professor at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and, since 2004, senior scientist for British Petroleum, to lead the Office of Science in the Department of Energy is viewed by those in the alternative energy field as a sign that President Barack Obama is serious about ramping up the nation’s production of biofuels. As the Undersecretary of Science, Koonin will oversee the running of the national laboratory system, which conducts scientific research into both civilian and military-related projects.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Federal Reserve Gives Yet another Gift to Big Banks
- Oklahoma and Nebraska Sue Colorado for Legalizing Marijuana
- CIA Decides that the CIA Hacking into Members of Congress is not a Punishable Offense
- Executions in U.S. Drop to 20-Year Low
- Ambassador to the United States from Paraguay: Who Is Igor Pangrazio?