Under Secretary of Energy for Science: Who is Steven Koonin?
The choice of Steven E. Koonin, a longtime physics professor at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and, since 2004, senior scientist for British Petroleum, to lead the Office of Science in the Department of Energy is viewed by those in the alternative energy field as a sign that President Barack Obama is serious about ramping up the nation’s production of biofuels. As the Undersecretary of Science, Koonin will oversee the running of the national laboratory system, which conducts scientific research into both civilian and military-related projects.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- At Present Rate of Progress, Equal Pay for Women Predicted in 170 Years
- Change in U.S. Search Warrant Rules Seen as Expanding FBI Power to Hack into Nation’s Computers
- Watchdog Groups Decry Energy Dept. Plan for Massive Above-Ground Nuclear Waste Storage
- Most Americans Believe Their Vote Won’t Count
- Majority of U.S. Students Lag in Science; Girls and Minorities Make Modest Gains