Under Secretary of Energy for Science: Who is Steven Koonin?
The choice of Steven E. Koonin, a longtime physics professor at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and, since 2004, senior scientist for British Petroleum, to lead the Office of Science in the Department of Energy is viewed by those in the alternative energy field as a sign that President Barack Obama is serious about ramping up the nation’s production of biofuels. As the Undersecretary of Science, Koonin will oversee the running of the national laboratory system, which conducts scientific research into both civilian and military-related projects.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Citibank Study Finds Huge Financial Benefits to Acting on Climate Change
- Use of Solitary Confinement gets Overhaul in California Prisons
- Federal Court Forces Ohio Medicaid Agency to Admit that Spouses are Family Members
- Human Drivers Create Headaches for Law-Abiding Driverless Cars
- For the First Time, Marijuana Use Eclipses Tobacco Smoking among Nation’s College Students