Under Secretary of Energy for Science: Who is Steven Koonin?
The choice of Steven E. Koonin, a longtime physics professor at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) and, since 2004, senior scientist for British Petroleum, to lead the Office of Science in the Department of Energy is viewed by those in the alternative energy field as a sign that President Barack Obama is serious about ramping up the nation’s production of biofuels. As the Undersecretary of Science, Koonin will oversee the running of the national laboratory system, which conducts scientific research into both civilian and military-related projects.
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Pentagon Revises Rules on Dealing With Journalists
- Guantánamo Defense Attorney Wants Tribunal Site Tested for Toxic Chemicals
- Woodstock Producers Say Republicans Stole Their Logo for Convention
- Justice Department Says Town Discriminated Against Muslims
- New York Solar Project Would Result in Destruction of 350 Acres of Trees