Why are Americans Still Paying for Newt Gingrich’s Secret Service Protection?
Saturday, April 21, 2012
(photo: Current TV)
Newt Gingrich has no chance of catching Mitt Romney in the race for the Republican presidential nomination and his campaign is deeply in debt. But that hasn’t stopped the former House Speaker from carrying on his political travels, which are being aided by his Secret Service protection.
As a GOP presidential candidate, Gingrich is entitled to a Secret Service detail that can include six cars and six federal agents, as well as local law enforcement protection. In addition, Gingrich doesn’t have to pay for vehicle transportation, which includes gas, drivers and staff, while enjoying Secret Service help.
It’s unknown how much money the government is spending on Gingrich’s protection. Meanwhile, a taxpayer advocacy group has called for him to give up the Secret Service agents.
“As a former speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich should understand better than most how important it is to spend taxpayer dollars wisely,” said David Williams, president of the Taxpayers Protection Alliance. “He needs to do what’s right for the taxpayer and say, ‘I’m done with Secret Service protection.’”
To Learn More:
Gingrich Urged to End Secret Service Detail at Taxpayer Expense (by Elicia Dover, ABC News)
Gingrich’s Secret Service Detail Likely Costing Taxpayers Tens of Thousands of Dollars a Day (by Alex Pappas and Jamie Weinstein, Daily Caller)
Gingrich Racks up more Debt as his Campaign Disintegrates (by Dan Eggen, Washington Post)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- 4.6 Million American Children go to a School within a Mile of a Facility with Hazardous Chemicals
- Offshore Tax Havens Cost U.S. $184 Billion in Revenue Every Year
- Buy Cheerios, Wheaties or any other General Mills Product and You Give up the Right to Sue over False Advertising, Mislabeling…or Anything Else
- Karl Rove’s Crossroads Super PAC at the Heart of IRS Targeting and Election Commission Clashes
- Portland Dumps Millions of Gallons of Drinking Water after Young Man Urinates in Reservoir…Again