What do Plastic Bags and Military Contractors Have in Common? One Congressman
Monday, February 06, 2012
Patricia and Buck McKeon
A Republican running for an open seat in the California Assembly has received unusually large donations from defense contractors, possibly because of her congressman-husband who holds a powerful position in Washington.
Outraged by Los Angeles County’s 10-cent tax on plastic grocery bags, Patricia McKeon decided to run for an Assembly seat that overlaps with her spouse’s congressional district. Her husband, Buck McKeon, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, is one of the most powerful members of Congress when it comes to deciding spending for the Department of Defense.
Shortly after announcing her bid for the state legislature, Patricia McKeon began getting contributions from defense companies that stand to benefit from Buck McKeon’s decisions on the armed services panel.
Patricia McKeon has collected nearly $20,000 from defense contractors or their registered lobbyists, including $3,000 from Lockheed Martin, which is trying to convince Washington decision-makers not to cut funding for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter jet, $3,900 from General Atomics, $2,000 from Raytheon and $1,000 from Boeing.
Not surprisingly, considering his position, Buck McKeon himself is the largest recipient of campaign contributions from the defense industry, having raked in more than $750,000 from weapons makers since republicans gained control of the House of Representatives in 2009.
To Learn More:
Pentagon Contractors Flock To Mrs. McKeon (by Lee Fang, Salon)
D.C. Lobbyist Aids Rep. McKeon’s Wife (by Lee Fang, Salon)
Contributions to Patricia McKeon (California Secretary of State)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Statue of Liberty and Stonehenge among Landmark Sites Called Vulnerable to Climate Change Effects
- Obama Signs Bill to Remove Offensive Names for Minority Groups from U.S. Laws
- Leading Candidate for Texas School Board Seat Derailed by Her Wild Conspiracy Theories
- Promotion of Female and Minority Broadcast Ownership Damaged by FCC Failure to Update Rules
- Kosovo’s Ambassador to the United States: Who Is Vlora Çitaku?