Solar Company with $535 Million in Federal Loan Guarantees Declares Bankruptcy
Friday, September 02, 2011
It was heralded as the first beneficiary of the Obama administration’s energy loan guarantee program, and it was supposed to demonstrate how green technologies and job creation could go hand-in-hand. But instead of being a shining beacon for the solar power industry, Solyndra Inc. is filing for bankruptcy and laying off more than a thousand people.
The California-based solar panel manufacturer filed for Chapter 11 this week, even though it received $535 million in taxpayer-backed assurances to encourage investors of Solyndra.
In May, iWatch and ABC News produced the first serious warning about the company, which enjoyed a powerful connection with President Barack Obama. The story then was about how the Department of Energy cut corners in approving Solyndra’s loan guarantees, by rushing its decision before receiving outside assessments of the company’s viability.
Critics have accused Obama of playing favorites with Solyndra because one of its major investors was George Kaiser, an Oklahoma billionaire who raised between $50,000 and $100,000 for the president during the 2008 election.
Obama-Backed Solar Firm Collapses after Big Federal Loan Guarantee (by Ronnie Greene and Matthew Mosk, iWatch)
Solyndra Solar Company Fails after Getting Controversial Federal Loan Guarantees (by Joe Stephens and Carol D. Leonnig, Washington Post)
Skipping Safeguards, Officials Rushed Benefit to a Politically-Connected Energy Company (by Ronnie Greene and Matthew Mosk, iWatch)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Majority of Federal Appeals Court Judges Appointed by Democratic Presidents for First Time in more than 10 Years
- The Mysterious Case of the Obama Administration Claiming State-Secrets Privilege in a Private Defamation Lawsuit
- Obama Administration and EU Threaten Shutdown of ExxonMobil’s Drilling in Russian Arctic
- Fewer Workers Die on the Job…Except Latinos
- Is an Arkansas Republican Responsible for Spread of Ebola and did a Democrat Vote to Give Social Security Benefits to Illegal Immigrants? Of Course not…except in Campaign Ads