Obama Administration Allows Bigger Businesses to Qualify as Small Businesses
Friday, February 17, 2012
The Small Business Administration (SBA) has published new guidelines that will result in more companies qualifying as small businesses, allowing them to enjoy certain contracting advantages.
After conducting its first comprehensive review of size standards since the 1980s, the SBA concluded that larger businesses in 34 industries and three sub-industries deserved consideration as small businesses based on their annual receipts.
SBA estimates that as many as 8,350 additional companies will become eligible for its programs as a result of the change.
Among the changes, public relations and advertising agencies will be able to make $14 million a year rather than $7 million; engineering, surveying and mapping services will jump from $4.5 million to $14 million; and law offices will qualify with annual receipts of $10 million rather than only $7 million.
Marine engineering and naval architecture firms will be able to bring in $35.5 million a year and still qualify as small businesses, while weapons manufacturers will be able to make up to $35 million a year.
-David Wallechinsky, Noel Brinkerhoff
To Learn More:
SBA Redefinition Of Small Business Draws Mixed Reactions (by Andrew Lapin, Government Executive)
Small Business Size Standards: Professional, Technical, and Scientific Services (Small Business Administration) (pdf)
Government Accused of Giving Small Business Contracts to Fortune 500 Companies (by Noel Brinkerhoff, AllGov)
Will Obama Redefine Small Business? (AllGov)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Majority of Federal Appeals Court Judges Appointed by Democratic Presidents for First Time in more than 10 Years
- The Mysterious Case of the Obama Administration Claiming State-Secrets Privilege in a Private Defamation Lawsuit
- Obama Administration and EU Threaten Shutdown of ExxonMobil’s Drilling in Russian Arctic
- Fewer Workers Die on the Job…Except Latinos
- Is an Arkansas Republican Responsible for Spread of Ebola and did a Democrat Vote to Give Social Security Benefits to Illegal Immigrants? Of Course not…except in Campaign Ads