Mortgage Company Sued for Giving Bonuses to Employees who Steered Homeowners to Bad Deals
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) has sued a billion-dollar mortgage company for rewarding its employees when they convinced homeowners to accept bad deals.
Utah-based Castle & Cooke Mortgage was accused in federal court of paying out $4 million in bonuses to loan officers for steering consumers into unfavorable mortgages.
The litigation represents the first time that CFPB has gone after a financial institution for this kind of business practice, which was common before the financial crisis last decade.
Daniel Wagner at The Center for Public Integrity wrote that Castle & Cooke violated a federal prohibition on paying loan officers more when they sell loans with higher interest rates and fees.
“Before the ban … the company paid employees kickbacks for pushing higher-rate mortgages – ‘the higher the interest rates, the higher the loan officers’ commissions,’” Wagner wrote.
Then, after the ban went into effect, the company figured out a way around it: “They lumped the incentives into quarterly bonuses – ‘the higher the interest rates of the loans closed by a loan officer in the quarter, the higher the loan officer’s quarterly bonus,’” according to the complaint.
To Learn More:
Mortgage Lender Owned by Dole Foods Magnate Accused by CFPB of Abusive Practices (by Daniel Wagner, Center for Public Integrity)
Consumer Watchdog Finally Flexes Its Muscles (by Jonny Bonner, Courthouse News Service)
- Top Stories
- Unusual News
- Where is the Money Going?
- U.S. and the World
- Appointments and Resignations
- Latest News
- Dream Come True for Oil Companies: Obama Expected to Approve Drilling off Atlantic Coast from Virginia to Georgia
- Koch Brothers Unveil Plan to Outspend Political Parties in 2016 Election Campaign
- Fracking Earthquake Responsibility Case Goes to Court
- Student Settles with Philadelphia Police after Airport Arrest for Carrying Arabic Flash Cards
- Wisconsin Town in Need of Jurors Grabs People off the Street